Re-entry - GC Holder moving to India for 2 years(max)

chikki

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
My wife and I are both Indian passport holder. Our GC's were approved in Sept 2003. We plan on going back to India for couple of years (max) to spend time with our aging family members. Here are my questions:
a) I am told that we can apply for some form of re-entry permit that allows us to stay up to 2 years away from the USA without any adverse impact to the status of GC.
Is this true ?
If yes, then ,
a1) What form do I need to use
a2) What is the processing time
a3) We live in Iowa. Hence, do we send the forms to Nebraska center ?
a4) Also, could we travel to India once we file for this request at the center

b) We have children who were born in USA, have USA passport, and have visitied India using the PIO card. Is there anything special we need to do In USA or India since it is a long stay

Will appreciate your response. Thank you, Chikki

:)

chikki said:
Hello,
My wife and I are both Indian passport holder.
Our GC's were approved in Sept 2003.
We plan on going back to India for couple of years (max) to spend time with our aging family members. Here are my questions:

a) I am told that we can apply for some form of re-entry permit that allows us to stay up to 2 years away from the USA without any adverse impact to the status of GC.
Is this true ?
---------------- True, you need to be back BEFORE Re Entry permit gets expired.
If yes, then ,
a1) What form do I need to use
------------ form I-131
a2) What is the processing time
------------ Re Entry permit is filed with NSC I have read that it may take 3-5 months. also read that person got in 1 month
a3) We live in Iowa. Hence, do we send the forms to Nebraska center ?

--------- Yes Nebraska center and use the correct address
a4) Also, could we travel to India once we file for this request at the center
------------ YES, make sure the application reaches USCIS Nebraska center before you go out. you can give US address for reentry permit so that your relative can mail you once approved OR can give US consulate info nearest to your Indian address, they will send it to US consulate in India and US conulate in India will write to you on India address when to pick up the permit from consulate
b) We have children who were born in USA, have USA passport, and have visitied India using the PIO card. Is there anything special we need to do In USA or India since it is a long stay
------------ they will enter India with PIO card and children under the age of 16 dont need to do any registration in India. they can enter US with US passports
Will appreciate your response. Thank you, Chikki

:)