re-entering usa @ niagara falls...

tanstheman

Registered Users (C)
hi all,
i have greencard and my parents are visiting from oversees on b1/b2 multiple entry visa. we want to go to niagara falls for tourism, and cross over to canadian side, and go to toronto before returning by car.
I-94 for my parents expires in october end, and we are planning this trip in september.
1.While returning, is a new stay permit stamped?
2. if we request, do the immigration officers extend the stay permit or will they automatically permit the stay till october end only-the time of expiration of current 1 94?

please let me know, thanks

tans

I've done that a few times... and no, generally speaking, your 1-94 visa won't be extended.

My I-94 visa has been extended in these cases :

1) I was outside the USA for a long while (i.e I went to Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras for a few months. When I came back to the USA, I got a new I-94 even though the old one was still valid for a couple of week...).

2) Every time I visited Canada/ USA (now I'm a Canadian PR but I had a French passport at the time) for a few days or even a week. I never got a new I-94.

From my point of view, US officiers only grant a new I-94 if it's obvious you were outside the USA for a significant period of time. But lots of people cross to Canada and stay for a few days just to get a new I-94... and it just doesn't work anymore. Well, it didn't for me anyway.

Hope that helps !