Re Enter Canda

h1_canadian

Hi,

I landed Canada in Oct 2001 as Permanent Residence. Within one week, I came to USA on H1b visa.

Now Can I go back to Canada as Permanent Resident?

I have not filed tax return for 2001,2002 and even I dont have new PR card.

Help me out.

Thx:confused:

What is your final intention? Are you planning on moving to Canada? or just doing this as a backup?

Well if you really want to do this legally, you have to do the following...

I presume you atleast have a SIN number?

Download (NR73/NR74) form from CCRA and mail/fax it back. They will tell you if you are liable for Canadian taxes.

If CCRA tells you that you are liable for Canadian Taxes, pay it

According to the new law you are legally allowed to be out of Canada for 3 years. So your 3 years would be up only in 2004. However if you do not apply for and get the PR card before 12/31/2003, then you will nto be allowed to enter Canada.

If you decide to apply for the PR cad, make sure you fill the real dates for time out of Canada.

If you are moving to Canada in June of 2003, then the only problems I might foresee is your goods....

I am not sure if there is a timelimit on goods to follow if you declared one when you initially landed in 2001.

You will have to tell the CIC/CCRA officer at the border/airport that you were working in the US on work visa. Hopefully all they will do is put a stamp on your passport/IMM100 as to how long you were out.

If I were you I would call the CCRA at the border and ask them if you would be able to bring your goods into Canada without paying any exise/customs. Make sure you document for your record the name of the officer, date and time you spoke with him/her and his/her answer. This will help you if you are given any hassels at the border, when you showup with your goods.

Also a piece of advise...

Always document in a notebook when you talk to anyone in Canada. Especially the CIC/CCRA folks. This will help you in the long run.

Good Luck!!