re Both? CDN and U.S. GC

ysolong

Registered Users (C)
Dear people,

Here is my question:

I am married to a canadian citizen. I obtained landed immigrant status through marriage about 10 years ago. Since then, my wife and I moved to the U.S. and both obtained GC status through employment.

1. I was told that, according to the new canadian immigration laws, I still have my Landed Immigrant status. (I am accompanying my canadian spouse abroad, therefore, my status in CDN remains) Is this true?

2. Since I am a PR in the U.S. what are my obligation to Canada in terms of tax etc....?

Is someone out there who is familiar with this kind of stuff? I tried to find answers in an American forum, however, nobody was familiar with this scenario.

Thanks.

1) Yes
2) IF you do not live there , you have no obligations to canada

But you still have to live in canada 3 out of 4 yrs to get cdn citizenship

Originally posted by ysolong
Dear people,

Here is my question:

I am married to a canadian citizen. I obtained landed immigrant status through marriage about 10 years ago. Since then, my wife and I moved to the U.S. and both obtained GC status through employment.

1. I was told that, according to the new canadian immigration laws, I still have my Landed Immigrant status. (I am accompanying my canadian spouse abroad, therefore, my status in CDN remains) Is this true?

YES!!

2. Since I am a PR in the U.S. what are my obligation to Canada in terms of tax etc....?

You are liable for Canadian Taxes, if you have property, or receive any type of Income from Canada. If you don't have any income from Canada, and since you do not live in Canada, you are not liable for Taxes.

Is someone out there who is familiar with this kind of stuff? I tried to find answers in an American forum, however, nobody was familiar with this scenario.

Thanks.

1. Not in your case. You have to be accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse who is staying outside of Canada temporarily. Since your spouse obtained a U.S. green card and has established permanent residence in the United States, you are no longer eligible for this waiver. You can keep your Canada landed immigrant status only if you spend 2 out of every 5 years in Canada.

2. You can go to the Canada Customs and Revenue website (http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca) and check to see what exactly is needed for you to be considered a factual resident of Canada. Basically, if you have anything in Canada, even a bank account, then you are a factual resident of Canada. If you cannot be considered a factual resident of Canada, then you have no tax obligations to Canada at all.

Good luck,

Alfaris

Dear people,

Here is my question:

Thanks.

Hello,

One comment suggested that my landed immigrant status could be lost because my wife, a canadian citizen, has obtained GC status in the U.S. The argument stated that only a temporary absence of the citizen would be acceptable in order for their foreign spouse to remain a landed immigrant.

Well, this doesn't make any sense. Regardless of my wife's staus in another country, she remains a canadian citizen. Therefore, who cares if she's temp. or perm. abroad?

Please point me to the law if I am wrong.

Thanks to all you immigration gurus.

ysolong