RD Dec-10-2001 Approved and experiences

marcoantonio

Registered Users (C)
I want to share my experiences during my green card process to all, hope the information is useful. In order to avoid a long and boring posting I will provide just the I-485 relevant information.

First, I want give my sincere appreciation to all the people who are behind this Website, the creator, administrator, owner and all of you that post your experiences and advises.

After my I-140 approval in Late October 2001 I filed the AOS in early December ( you will see the details in the signature), six moths later I got married and obtained a H4 visa for my wife and filed I-485, EAD and Parole also for my wife.
Couple months later, in June 2002, my employer notified that there were plans to dissolve my group and needed to find another job internally, unfortunately and because of internal bureaucracy I was not able to secure a position.
At that time and with the pressure of the AOS, I asked some advice to one friend I had in the HR department, and she recommended me to request a permission to take 1 year off without pay, but making sure I had a guarantee of reinstatement so I can remain in the payroll and able to come back to work if one position is offered. So I took her advice and did that; of course I needed to survive with my savings and reducing my expenses while searching for a job. I also was VERY worried about any RFE or Interview because of my job status.

Thanks God , with no offense to any other people who has different religion, last week my I-485 was approved and yesterday went for the stamp at Newark. The process was smooth while I was at Newark BCIS, it just took me 15 minutes since I arrived to the building to the time I left the building. BCIS officer just asked me for 2 ADIT pictures, EAD and Parole (if I had them) and passport. Note that she never asked me to have at least 6 months of validity of passport, something I was with concern.

In resume, my AOS took 15 months, and now only waiting for wife’s approval. I hope you find this information valuable.

To all the silent visitors, please register, you may have very important information to share with us. I also was a silent member for many months and then I realized that this site provides a great source of information for all of us as well help to keep the motivation.

My best wishes to all of you that are waiting for your approvals.

marcoantonio,
congrats!! My wife also filed after me. I am curious to know whether you ever tried to find out if your wife's case got joined to yours?
GC_impatient

Congratulations. It's a good post.
Do any one here knows what happens to follow to join spouse cases? I mean, will they be adjudicated at the same time as the principal applicant or will they be adjudicated as per their Receipt dates (in that case, the spouse approval may come 4 to 5 months after the principal applicant)

GC_impatient,

I never tryed to ask about my spouse case because I was afraid that IIO will link her case to mine and trigger a RFE or interview ( I do not know if a simple call with that request will make IIO link both cases but i did not want to take the risk because of my employment status).

What my attorney indicated though, is that filing spouse AOS after principal's increase the probability of getting interview or RFE. Thanks God did not happen.

Se also mentioned that if my case is approved first, my spouse case will be approved according her RD.

Hope this help, maybe someone in the forum can provide some info.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

dsatish,

About the follow to join, my lawyer mentioned some time ago that it will take more time, specially if the spouse is outside the US, but I remenber that he mentioned someting about 1-2 years
and depending if using AOS or CP. I suggest to consult you your lawyer, he can give you a better advice since it depends case by case.

Congrats,

One silly question, when I485 is approved, does it mean you can go for stamping at the local office any day, or will the Vermount center specify the date we should go for stamping on the approval notice.Please let me know

BCIS will send you a letter and they will ask you to go to the BCIS office for pasport stamping.

In my case the letter indicated to go on wednesdays between 8-12 to the Newark office. It also indicates you need to present the approval notice, therefore, you nedd to wait until you get it by mail.

My attorney recd. interview notices for me and my wife, schld. in Newark. The letter asks us to bring passport, I-94 and Interview letter only. We didn't receive any separate notices, so planning to take the notices sent to attorney. Anyway i'm taking all the papers with me:
Questions:
1. My wife's name is listed as occupant (not as a lesee) in my apt. lease agreement. Is this ok?
2. Since she has no SSN (has Tax Id #), the utility company won't add her name to our bills, but we have her name in bank account, credit cards etc. Is this enough ?
3. Do they normally interview spouse and applicant together or separately ???