RD: Cct-2001, passport expiring

shyguyphilly

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,
I am expecting my 485 approval any time soon. My passport is expiring in May 2003. Should I:
- wait for few days and if I get approved, get the current passport stamped or
- Apply for new passport now to NY consulate and get the new passport stamped?

Here are the corollary questions:
1. What happens if your passport expires after you get 485 approval stamped but have not yet received plastic card and want to travel. Do you need to get new passport stamped again?

2. How long does NY consulate take to renew the passport?

3. How much time can pass between the time you receive the 485 approval notice and you go to local INS office for stamping?

Plz advise.

I would strongly suggest that you apply & obtain a new passport. Passport must have atleast 6 months in validity.

All valid stamps in expired passports are legitimate and so, when a case arises, carry expired passport (with the valid stamp) and the new (blank) passport.

Walk-Ins @ Indian Consulate is fast and easy. Apply before 11 AM and you will receive the new passport after 4 PM or so. Pls check the times. By mail takes 2-3 weeks.

Time between approval and stamping will be the time and the valid circumstances needed to convince the INS officer of the delay in stamping.

The only thing I can add... is go somewhat early in the morning. I renewed mine last month at NYC. I showed up at 10:10 am or so, made it to the counter by 10:45 am. They told me to come back the next day as there wasn't enough time for same day processing.

I noticed after 1 month of my passport expiry . I went to NY Consulate at 8am , submitted by 10.00 AM and walked restless(I didnt/dont know whereabouts of peepshows / or other shows in NY) on NY roads till 4pm and collected My new + old passport together . check their web site for things to carry before you go.
Good Luck