Rcvd the approval email today - ND 07/2001

windywd said:
PM,

They have this ridiculous numbering scheme. Mine is actually Apr 2002, and they assigned the number 01130XXXXXX, later I found out my "correct" ND is March 2001.
You know you could be right. I never rcvd the actual paper notice by mail. This date was in my profile on the website. So the actual date could be different which I am really not aware of and frankly PM I dont care and never have!! :D My only concern was to get the approval...when, how long..didnt really matter.

Conference call

Free,
Give us your number like MK suggested and let's have a con call for some gupp-shup :D
When was your application rcv'd by USCIS. I don't mean ND just roughly your RD. I'm still confused. :confused:

Mike N. said:
Hey Free100 - Congratulations! How did you manage to get ahead of me :) My receipt is 01054XXXXX

Mike I had logged out but couldnt resist to sign back in to respond to you. As I have always posted, USCIS works in mysterious ways..nothing can be predicted..however some of us might try and do (Mis)calculations.....of dates/times/and so on and so forth. The truth is you never KNOW!! What do you think Mike? Am I right or AM I RIGHT! :D

congratulations

when will i get my GC

its becoming frustrating

ASYLUM APPROVED : JAN 2000
ND: FEB 2001
FP: APRIL 2004
RFI: JUNE 2005
BIO: AUG 2 2005

John Smith 1 said:
when will i get my GC

its becoming frustrating

ASYLUM APPROVED : JAN 2000
ND: FEB 2001
FP: APRIL 2004
RFI: JUNE 2005
BIO: AUG 2 2005

Johny Baby,

You will be as miserable as you have always been.

MK

Guys just to add to the LIN number confusion if you don't mind:) Since my case has been wrongly filed to a local office instead to NSC, my LIN is actually LIN02150xxxx. However, my cases is being processed as FY 2001 cases since the local office receipt is from Sep 2001. NSC just acknowledged that, but issued 02 LIN. And the way I made this to happen is simply told my attorney to correct it and voila! So the moral of this story is that if you have a crook attorney he/she may just play stupid, and ask NSC clerk to put your file anywhere in the queue you want.

But, again, it may not matter... we will all get approved soon.

Hey Gang members:

Just minutes ago, we got RFE. My neighbor told me Immigration asks for "proof of current immigration status of Canada."

First of all, I am impressed. How the heck do they figure out I applied for Canadian permanent resident and got approved a while ago?

Anyway, I talked with my attorney and Canadian consulate in New York, and am going to pick up a letter next Monday.

Windwd,

If you are now holding a Canadian green card, what will USCIS do to your I-485? I assume there are two possibilities:

1) They grant your I-485 application.
1) They revoke your US asylum status, and deport you to Canada.

They can not let you hold asylum status forever. They will have to either give you GC or revoke your asylum.

Keep us updated please because many of us like me are trying to apply for Canadian green cards.

Thanks.

windywd said:
Hey Gang members:

Just minutes ago, we got RFE. My neighbor told me Immigration asks for "proof of current immigration status of Canada."

First of all, I am impressed. How the heck do they figure out I applied for Canadian permanent resident and got approved a while ago?

Anyway, I talked with my attorney and Canadian consulate in New York, and am going to pick up a letter next Monday.

Sad,

Although my application was approved, but since my asylum was approved at the same time I never bothered to do the medical, and never "landed" Canada.

I just called the Canadian Consulate and confirmed that they consider my application was withdrawn due to inaction for a number of years.

I don't know if I really had a Canadian green card, what would have happened? Anyone?

You should be cool if you don't really hold a Canadian gree card. If you have never landed, of course you don't have the card. The only thing you need to do is to prove it to the USCIS.
For the asylees who hold Canadian green cards, it would be a hot potato for USCIS.
1) On the one hand, if USCIS revokes their I-485 applications, that means US is dumping refugees to Canada. It is definitely not a good fame.
2) On the other hand, USCIS don't have the mercifulness to accept their I-485 application.
It is a dilemma for USCIS. It is possible that USCIS may ask them to abandon their Canadian green cards as a prerequisite in order to be approved for US green cards.
My 2 cents.

windywd said:
Sad,

Although my application was approved, but since my asylum was approved at the same time I never bothered to do the medical, and never "landed" Canada.

I just called the Canadian Consulate and confirmed that they consider my application was withdrawn due to inaction for a number of years.

I don't know if I really had a Canadian green card, what would have happened? Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
After talking with my attorney a moment ago, I don't think they can ever do that. The only guideline pertaining to this is that asylee may be ineligible for adjustment since he/she acquired a new NATIONALITY and enjoys the freedom there. Having Canadian green card is NOT a nationality.

As a matter of fact, when I was calling Canadian consulate, they told me that after paying a fee, I can reactivate my application. It means that after I get my U.S. green card, I can pay $300 to get a Canadian one. My attorney told me a lot of people have done that and never have any problem.

BTW, my attorney told me that a lot of people sent them the original passport by their request, which shows the Canadian stamp. Immigration knows this and so?

My situation is a bit different because I applied a while back and probably would have become a Canadian citizen. He told me "just send them the god damn original letter from the consulate and you are done."

Wind,

Hope your attorney is right here. If it is true, asylees with Canadian GC only need to prove to USCIS that they are not Canadian citizens. That makes sense to me at least, why? -- If USCIS revokes their asylum status because of their Canadian GC, there will be a possibility that their Canadian GC also be revoked for any reason by the Canadian government. Then they will become totally homeless. US does not want to take this responsibility - Thanks Lard I really hope they are so merciful and humane.
As I remember, there is a long government document talking about this US-Canada refugee issue. I didn't have the patience to finish reading it.

Thanks a lot for sharing the helpful info with us. :) :)

windywd said:
After talking with my attorney a moment ago, I don't think they can ever do that. The only guideline pertaining to this is that asylee may be ineligible for adjustment since he/she acquired a new NATIONALITY and enjoys the freedom there. Having Canadian green card is NOT a nationality.

As a matter of fact, when I was calling Canadian consulate, they told me that after paying a fee, I can reactivate my application. It means that after I get my U.S. green card, I can pay $300 to get a Canadian one. My attorney told me a lot of people have done that and never have any problem.

Sad,

I think you may misunderstand a bit. I applied Canadian green card on the basis of academic/professional qualifications.

I don't know if you have two green cards, but both of them coming from asylum.

Hope this is helpful.

windywd said:
Sad,

I think you may misunderstand a bit. I applied Canadian green card on the basis of academic/professional qualifications.

I don't know if you have two green cards, but both of them coming from asylum.

Hope this is helpful.

Windywd, I hope your lawyer is right and keep us updated on this issue. But I thought that if you asked for "protection" from other country(i.e, apply for asylum in another country or try to immigrate to that country using your skills(approval of canadian GC), your asylum status is revoked.

I dont remember what the RTD says but I think it does say somethng about taking refuge in another country or something like that. I will go home and check my RTD.

The strong point you have is that you have "abandoned" the Canadian PR but the mere "approval" of canadian GC may seem to them as "protection." This is a gray area and I do not how USCIS will interpet this...It should be in your favor because you are not a canadian PR or canadian citizen but merely applied for Canadian Permanent resdiency and got approved...

Do not take this issue lightly...and gather all the evidence you think proves your point.

Want,

This is the exerpt from INA:
(2) Termination of asylum. - Asylum granted under subsection (b) does not convey a right to remain permanently in the United States, and may be terminated if the Attorney General determines that -

(A) the alien no longer meets the conditions described in subsection (b)(1) owing to a fundamental change in circumstances;

(B) the alien meets a condition described in subsection (b)(2);

(C) the alien may be removed, pursuant to a bilateral or multilateral agreement, to a country (other than the country of the alien's nationality or, in the case of an alien having no nationality, the country of the alien's last habitual residence) in which the alien's life or freedom would not be threatened on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, and where the alien is eligible to receive asylum or equivalent temporary protection;

(D) the alien has voluntarily availed himself or herself of the protection of the alien's country of nationality or, in the case of an alien having no nationality, the alien's country of last habitual residence, by returning to such country with permanent resident status or the reasonable possibility of obtaining such status with the same rights and obligations pertaining to other permanent residents of that country; or

(E) the alien has acquired a new nationality and enjoys the protection of the country of his new nationality.

Nothing is applicable to me. But, historically, INS usually don't even bother (A). My attorney did tell me that it is an interesting trend that they are now putting people into microscope in terms of (E) (in my case). So will they tighten up for all of them from A to E? As a matter of fact, someone in this forum reported that they asked for RTD, passports, that is (D)

Anyway, my reply will be out Monday.