Quite Scary - USCIS Website Status Change

JKBGC

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

Few days back my I-140 case status on the website was

"On November 15, 2004, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case. The notice explains in detail what additional material is needed. If you have questions about the notice, what is required, or if 14 days have passed and you have not received the notice, please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283."

My company got the RFE and they are preparing the response. But I was just checking the status tonight and found the status is updated to

"On December 4, 2004, we responded to your request for more information concerning your case. If you have not received our response within 30 days from this date, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283."

Does it mean USCIS got the RFE response and now they have even sent us their decision in mail? I am certain neither my attorney nor my company has sent any response to RFE to USCIS. Does this happen to anyone? Please advise, what to do?

Thanks & Regards
JKBGC

It means someone asked for a status inquiry on your case, either via the 1-800 number, or by sending a fax. did you call to ask what is up with you case? If so this is the response you would have gotten online. It may also have been your lawyer who called the NCSC.

What to do next

Thanks CuriousGeorge ,

I checked with my company and lawyer, both are saying they haven't contacted USCIS after my RFE on November 15th. Are we supposed to contact USCIS, in case if we don't receive any mail from them by Jan 04th (when 30 days period end). I am slightly worried, because I am planning to respond to my "Ability to Pay" RFE during that time frame.

JKBGC

This is the message you get if you update them with your address over the phone. Basically any call to the 1 800 number will trigger this. Don't worry.

Thanks

Thanks Hadron. But again, noone from our side has contacted them. As I mentioned, my main worry is about the RFE. They shouldn't later say we sent this information and if you didn't receive it, why didn't we call them to find out what was sent in 30 days! I am planning to respond to the RFE after 30 days expire.

This has nothing to do with your RFE. The RFE has a response date on it, usually 90 days, have the company lawyer show you the RFE.

The online status does these things. After I received an approval notice for an I140 and the online status reflected it, it suddenly reverted to 'we have received your I140, it will take between 150-999 days to process this kind of case'.

The online system does what the online system does. It spits out cryptic messages with only a slim relation to what is actually happening.

Don't 'respond' to the RFE. This is a scure way to f$^% things up. The RFE on an I140 is responded to by the company through their lawyer. Be sure to be on their case to send a timely reply, but DON'T send anything to USCIS yourself. If they take whatever you send them as the response to the RFE, you have a high chance of getting the I140 denied.

hadron said:
The online system does what the online system does. It spits out cryptic messages with only a slim relation to what is actually happening.

That's true, and often times its just plain wrong. My I-485 message for my for a over a year said that USCIS received my reply to an RFE. But when I called them, they admited that thier system doesn't even show that an RFE was sent to me in the first place! So there is no way that I replied to one. They blamed it on an officer that probably put the wrong case number into the system when updateing the status. This type of stuff happens all the time with the online status.