Questions regarding CP in Montreal

logicators

Registered Users (C)
I had my I-140 (EB1) approved last week and selected Montreal for CP on my I-140 form. I appreciate if someone could answer these questions:

1) Do I need to obtain police clearence from Canada (I am a landed Canadian immigrant but never lived there)

2) Do I need to obtain an FBI clearence at my own (or NVC will take care of it)

3) I appreciate if I someone can provide me a list of documents that need to be attached with packet 3 so I could start arranging them

4) Any ideas about the time its currently taking to complete the CP process after I-140 approval (I am trying to find it in the Montreal CP tracker, but it seems to vary greatly)

Thanks in advance,
logicators

logicators said:
I had my I-140 (EB1) approved last week and selected Montreal for CP on my I-140 form. I appreciate if someone could answer these questions:

1) Do I need to obtain police clearence from Canada (I am a landed Canadian immigrant but never lived there)

2) Do I need to obtain an FBI clearence at my own (or NVC will take care of it)

3) I appreciate if I someone can provide me a list of documents that need to be attached with packet 3 so I could start arranging them

4) Any ideas about the time its currently taking to complete the CP process after I-140 approval (I am trying to find it in the Montreal CP tracker, but it seems to vary greatly)

Thanks in advance,
logicators

If you are a Canadian landed Immigrant and does not live there (lived there) you should have a strong case to show MTL is your Domicile Consulate.

If you have not lived in Canada, the RCMP clearence is not needed as per NVC instructions. But at the same time, the MTL Consulate/NVC may expect a clearence from RCMP.

FBI check and other checks within USA are done by NVC/Consulate.

cptracker.com gives the best estimates of processing times, like you said, it varies greatly for Montreal cases.

I do have a PR card valid for several years and current laws allow Canadian PRs to live outside Canada for 3 years out of 5 years (I am still under 3 year limit). Do I still have to do something special to build a case for CP in Montreal?

Answer to you questions ...

Some answer to your questions in bold. Gurus please correct me if I am wrong.

1) Do I need to obtain police clearence from Canada (I am a landed Canadian immigrant but never lived there) - Yes, you do. It takes from 1 hours to several weeks to get police clearance (not the finger print).

2) Do I need to obtain an FBI clearence at my own (or NVC will take care of it) - No.

--------- Lots of them. such as: http://www.hooyou.com/consularprocess/faq.html
The Original I-797 approval notice for immigration petition (I-130, I-140, etc.);
A Copy of the immigration petition as filed;
The receipt notice for Form I-824 (only if indicating to apply for consular processing at first) or the approved notice for Form I-824 (only if later requesting consular processing);
Evidence that the applicant's last residence was in the host country of the post;
Consular Processing application forms;
Medical exam;
Employment information for the past 10 years;
Birth Certificate
Passport;
Military Records, if applicable;
Marriage Certificates, if applicable;
Documentation of termination of prior marriages (e.g. divorce decree or death certificate), if applicable;
Address since the age of 16; and
Police certificates from every country where an applicant has resided for one year since the age of 16.

It varied a lot. From half year to forever. But you can at least speedup by preparing your document.

Last edited by a moderator: