Questions regarding an E2 visa and DV program

Ron Williams

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate if someone could kindly answer the following questions:

1. Does applying for the DV program will damage my chances for an E-2 visa? I’m asking because I know that an E-2 status requires non-immigrant intent and Diversity Visa petition carries immigrant intent.

2. Once I obtain the E-2 visa, am I allowed to make a significantchange in plans, for example: starting a law firm (since I’m a lawyer) and then opening up a cafe instead?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate if someone could kindly answer the following questions:

1. Does applying for the DV program will damage my chances for an E-2 visa? I’m asking because I know that an E-2 status requires non-immigrant intent and Diversity Visa petition carries immigrant intent.

2. Once I obtain the E-2 visa, am I allowed to make a significantchange in plans, for example: starting a law firm (since I’m a lawyer) and then opening up a cafe instead?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ron,

Applying to the DV Lottery does not cause any type of immigration intent at least for people applying for B1/B2 Visas. The only way this will happen is in the case you are selected and you proceed with your selection by filling out the DS-260. Applying does not cause any kind of problems, as far as I know. I really can't answer your second question and you will have to wait for someone else to answer or ask an immigration lawyer.