Questions on OCI Card

greenshackles

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I just got my US Citizenship and had few questions on applying for an OCI Card for my family.

General backgroud.

I was an Indian Citizen (Until recently)
My wife is a Japanese Citizen
My daughter is a US Citizen

Can I apply for the OCI card for all 3 of us together. On the Ministry of Home Affairs website it mentions (provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship).

Does the US allow Dual Citizenship?

I guess this is allowed since everybody is applying for it after becoming a citizen in the US.

How long does it generally take?

Your input will be much appreciated.

greenshackles said:
I was an Indian Citizen (Until recently)
My wife is a Japanese Citizen
My daughter is a US Citizen

Can I apply for the OCI card for all 3 of us together. On the Ministry of Home Affairs website it mentions (provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship).

Greenshackles,

Has your wife or one of her parents or grandparents ever been an Indian citizen? If not, I think she is eligible for a PIO card (based on marriage to a PIO), but not OCI (must be based on own, parent's or grandparent's Indian origin). India does grant PIO cards to Japanese citizens.

India does grant OCI to US citizens.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Thanks

Thanks for the information. No, none of her parents were of Indian origin. Can I apply for a OCI Card for myself and my daughter and a PIO card for my wife.

Your reponse will be much appreciated.

greenshackles said:
Thanks for the information. No, none of her parents were of Indian origin. Can I apply for a OCI Card for myself and my daughter and a PIO card for my wife.

Greenshackles,

Yes, you can. People on the forum have reported it takes a few weeks to get a PIO card, and a few months to get OCI.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Your wife is eligible for a PIO based on her marriage to you. Remember PIO cards have a time on it plus the stipulation of registering as a foreigner when such a person stays in India for a long time(in excess of 30 days or so).

As for your child OCI can be obtained based on your ancestory of being Indian.