Questions on Filing I-131 Re-entry Permit

ms44

Hi, I am assembling an I-131 application for Re-entry Permit for my wife. She is a Lawful Permanent Resident since Aug 2008 and is currently visiting Japan. We are planning to mail the application via USPS Express on the day she comes back to US on Oct 1, 2008. I would request to expedite the biometric appointment since she needs to travel again to Japan due to family obligations.

I read the I-131 instruction several times, but since this is my first time to file without attorney, I am getting very nervous… I would really appreciate if you could help me confirm and double check the content of the packet I am sending:

1. Cover letter with the word EXPEDITE
2. Cashier’s check $385 payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”. I wrote down her name and A# on the check.
3. Form I-131 completed and signed.
- Class of admission: E27
- Date of intended departure: 10/31/2008
- Purpose of trip: Family obligations
- Length of trip: 1 year
4. Copy of front and back of I-551 (Her physical permanent resident card)
5. 2 pre-paid self-addressed USPS Express envelopes for the receipt notice and the biometric appointment notice

As I understand, I do NOT need to enclose 2 passport-style photos NOR a copy of her passport identity page. Am I correct?

Should I staple the 3 pages of Form I-131?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

leaving US before biometric

Also, can she leave US before biometric and come back to US for biometric once scheduled? I know the instruction says "may be rejected" and this topic has been talked about in this forum, but I have not yet found anybody who actually done it. I was wondering if anybody had done it successfuly and got approved.

Thank you!

Looks fine to me. I did the same thing. You can also put a yellow sticky on the application itself "Please Expediate Biometrics". May help.
Under class of admission I put "Permanent Resident" What is c27 mean?
You dont need to staple it.

I guess she can leave and come back for BIo. which may be 4 weeks to months. I am in Canada so I left and came back down my Bio app came 4 weeks later.

Hope it helps

Hi dezi, thank you for your reply.

Did you enclose prepaid express mailers? If so, did USCIS use them for sending you notice letters?

My card says E26 and my wife's card says E27 as Category. I also found the following chart about Class of Admission:

http://www.immigration.com/newsletter1/immclasofadm.pdf

I was not sure if this was what they meant as Class of Admission in Form I-131. That's why I posted in this forum. I'm glad you caught it.

Thank you!

you need to go for biometrics only if you E-FIle.
Otherwise you can just paper file and Enclose the two passport size photographs and other required documentation.

No I did not bother with prepaid envelopes.

I dont think it matters whether efile or paper file. Bio is a must.
Dont need photos...they will take fingerprint and photo at the bio-appt.

you need to go for biometrics only if you E-FIle.
Otherwise you can just paper file and Enclose the two passport size photographs and other required documentation.

i thought applying for REP is ONLY possible through paper-filing and that e-file isnt even an available option yet. also, biometrics is essential prior to REP approval now.

i thought applying for REP is ONLY possible through paper-filing and that e-file isnt even an available option yet. also, biometrics is essential prior to REP approval now.

Sorry I am mistaken, looks like it is required to go for Biometrics... but it was not when I applied for reentry permit last year.

The Instructions on the I-131 form.
If you are between age 14 through 79 and you are applying for a Refugee Travel Document or Re-entry Permit, you must be fingerprinted as part of USCIS biometric services requirements. After you have filed this application, USCIS will notify you in writing of the time and location where you must go to be fingerprinted. If necessary, USCIS may also take your photograph and signature. Failure to appear to be fingerprinted or for other biometric services may result in a denial of your application. All applicants for Re-entry Permit and/or Refugee Travel Documents between the ages of 14 through 79 are required to pay the additional $80 biometric fee. (See "What is the Filing Fee" on page eight).