Questions on AP

atyagi73

Registered Users (C)
I have couple of questions regarding AP.

1. For how long AP is valid and does it allow multiple entries ?
2. Does AP have name of employer ?
3. Do we need any additional documents(like letter from employer) etc ?

Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

1. One year, and they usually give multiple entry if it is related to an employment-based green card and you asked for multiple entry on the application.

2. No, it does not have the employer on it. But of course, they can always use your A# (which is on the Advance Parole and your I-485 receipt notice) to find most of your details including your employer on the computer.

3. When you travel bring a recent letter from your employer, and your I-485 receipt (but don't show those documents unless asked for them specifically). When you enter the country via advance parole, you will be sent to the secondary inspection room where they may possibly interrogate you, so it helps to have all the vital documents with you.

When applying for the advance parole, attach copies of the documents requested in the I-131 instructions.

1. One year, and they usually give multiple entry if it is related to an employment-based green card and you asked for multiple entry on the application.

2. No, it does not have the employer on it. But of course, they can always use your A# (which is on the Advance Parole and your I-485 receipt notice) to find most of your details including your employer on the computer.

3. When you travel bring a recent letter from your employer, and your I-485 receipt (but don't show those documents unless asked for them specifically). When you enter the country via advance parole, you will be sent to the secondary inspection room where they may possibly interrogate you, so it helps to have all the vital documents with you.

When applying for the advance parole, attach copies of the documents requested in the I-131 instructions.

Thanks for the info. What kind of interrogation is performed ? I am now thinking may be I should go with H1. Any comments ?

I totally didn't know about the interrogation. That sucks.
They do it each and every time? Has anybody gone through it? I would like to know more about it.

I totally didn't know about the interrogation. That sucks.
They do it each and every time? Has anybody gone through it? I would like to know more about it.

I entered thrice using AP and never subjected to any interrogation. The only problem I found is to locate the immigration counter for AP.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. What kind of interrogation is performed ? I am now thinking may be I should go with H1. Any comments ?

Using Parole is much easiar and simple. I was really worried what kind of question they might ask at secondary inpection. For me they did not ask any question.

I entered thrice using AP and never subjected to any interrogation. The only problem I found is to locate the immigration counter for AP.

Thanks

Is there a specific counter for AP? Not the regular line for H visas, visitors, etc.?

I got sent to the interrogation room but got through very quickly.

However, I know somebody who was held for 2 hours there (mostly because of so many other people waiting at the same time, not because the interrogation itself lasted so long).

Yes, use the H1 if it is still valid (you haven't invalidated it by using EAD to work for another company). Even if you don't actually get interrogated, you may have to wait a long time in the secondary inspection room if you use AP.

Yes, if you don't extend or transfer H1 within 1 year of port entry.

This is interesting. I have a H1 but not a valid visa on my passport. If I decide to go to India then I have to plan for stamping. I have also filed for 485. If I get my AP by the time I am ready to travel then is is it following a possibility:

I use AP to travel to India and when I am back in USA I file for H1 extension or H1 transfer to new employer(if going with AC21).

- Thanks

This is interesting. I have a H1 but not a valid visa on my passport. If I decide to go to India then I have to plan for stamping. I have also filed for 485. If I get my AP by the time I am ready to travel then is is it following a possibility:

I use AP to travel to India and when I am back in USA I file for H1 extension or H1 transfer to new employer(if going with AC21).

- Thanks

If I were you would use AP. I don't want to go to embassy in my home country because I might get stuck if hes ask some more aditional papers which i did not cary with me.

Thanks

Do we need to submit all I -94 receipts while leaving country or only the original and the latest enough?
By default all I-94 receipts comes with H1 extensions have same number?

one more question: Is I -485 receipt and or Employer letter compulsory?
what documents did u show other than APR when you enter USA on AP?

It is compulsory only if the officer asks for it.

I am not sure about the I-94s, but I just gave in both when I left (the white one given at the port of entry and the tear-off one that came from the H1 approval notice). If they don't need both they'll just throw away what they don't need. But if they do need both and you only gave in one, you might have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the regular visitors counter, and the officer will look at your papers and direct you to the secondary inspection room.

The first time when I entered using AP I did the same thing. I stand in line with the visitors counter for an hour and then directed to the AP counter to stand in line for another hour. The line in AP counter is much longer than the one in visitors counters :mad:

This resulted in my baggage are pulled and held as it was unclaimed for more than couple of hours and I need to search for the Airline staff and finally claim them.

It is better to enquire about the AP counter and stand in line over there to avoid all these hassle.

Thanks

Do we need to submit all I -94 receipts while leaving country or only the original and the latest enough?
By default all I-94 receipts comes with H1 extensions have same number?

what documents did u show other than APR when you enter USA on AP?

I did not submit them to the Airlines. They themselves took the white I-94 copy while issuing boarding pass and till date have all other I-94's that came along with H1/H4.

I gave only the AP and Passport at the POE. They only question they asked was whether I am still employed with the GC sponsoring company, which I replied yes.

Thanks

No issue with AP

If I were you would use AP. I don't want to go to embassy in my home country because I might get stuck if hes ask some more aditional papers which i did not cary with me.

Last week I travelled on AP to germany and Russia, while going no one asked me anything.. even in Russia they where happy to welcome to their country.
While coming back just shown the AP and and that was fine with them. While I came to DC asked to stmap the AP at the secondary review area. Lot of people.. some of the officers rude.. may be they are too tired :) I was wondering how do I get out of this place looking at the number of people waiting.. but one of the officers came to me asked me if I have an AP. He just took one copy of the AP went to the counter.. stamped and told me "Sir.. you are all set you can go". The whole process took less than a min. I believe they have other security check for the passengers from the middle east approx 100 people waiting,tired,sad faces with small kids.. I felt bad for those kids.. what to do .. we need to follow the law of the land..

The first time when I entered using AP I did the same thing. I stand in line with the visitors counter for an hour and then directed to the AP counter to stand in line for another hour. The line in AP counter is much longer than the one in visitors counters :mad:
Well if the visitors line is that long then it makes sense to directly look for the AP counter/room.

However, at the airport where I last arrived, the secondary inspection room was behind a door that could not be reached without passing the visitors counter, and the visitors line wasn't long anyway.