Questions for OCI application for wife and kids

tpdude

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

We are getting ready to apply for the OCI card for my wife and 2 kids. I am still a Indian Citizen (GC holder) and am not applying for OCI. Question:

When filling out the OCI Part A form online for family, I understand we would enter my wife's details under the "First Applicant Information" section and the details for our kids in the Minor 1 and Minor 2 sections. As I am an Indian Citizen and not applying for an OCI, do I need to enter my information under the "Spouse Information" or is this section filled out ONLY if both parents are applying for OCI?

Thanks,
-Topper

PIO Vs.OCI

Hi Experts,

From the following link, http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html, as I was browsing to know the differences between PIO and OCI, the following difference really surprised me and I couldn't really find the advantage in having OCI card. Other than having one drawback with PIO card that one must register with local police if the stay goes > 180 days.

My understanding has always been is that "OCI" is a lifetime Visa for India but after reading this, I don’t believe that it's true. Can someone please clarify?

This is in particualr to "New foreign passport" -
PIO Card --> Travel either with both passports or get new passport number endorsed in PIO card.
OCI Card --> Anyone younger than 21 years or older than 50 years need to apply for new OCI card and visa. This is disadvantage of OCI compared to PIO.

Regards

Re-issue of OCI card

Hi Experts,

From the following link, http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html, as I was browsing to know the differences between PIO and OCI, the following difference really surprised me and I couldn't really find the advantage in having OCI card. Other than having one drawback with PIO card that one must register with local police if the stay goes > 180 days.

My understanding has always been is that "OCI" is a lifetime Visa for India but after reading this, I don’t believe that it's true. Can someone please clarify?

This is in particualr to "New foreign passport" -
PIO Card --> Travel either with both passports or get new passport number endorsed in PIO card.
OCI Card --> Anyone younger than 21 years or older than 50 years need to apply for new OCI card and visa. This is disadvantage of OCI compared to PIO.

Regards

Here is what I found out after doing a lot of home work, hope people find it useful -

An OCI holder should apply for re-issue of their OCI card if they are issued a new passport:

For re-issue of an OCI card on a new passport, the following guidelines apply:•For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
•For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport.
•For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.

Transferring U visa sticker to new passport is optional!

Please have a look at Ociindia.nic.in/Index.html. It says "In case of registered OCI Has obtained a new passport, kindly ensure To carry the passport containing U visa sticker, new passport and OCI document during all visits to India. Alternatively Miscellaneous services can be availed For transfer of U visa sticker to the new passport"

Please have a look at Ociindia.nic.in/Index.html. It says "In case of registered OCI Has obtained a new passport, kindly ensure To carry the passport containing U visa sticker, new passport and OCI document during all visits to India. Alternatively Miscellaneous services can be availed For transfer of U visa sticker to the new passport"

Thanks Dallas03096.

That's a good information, it says (the way I understand) that's it's good to get the U-Visa sticker on the new passport using misc services but not must... meaning carry both old passport which has U-Visa sticker along with new passport which doesn't have U-Visa sticker.

Will a new OCI visa sticker be pasted on the new foreign passport

I found the following on - http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-faq.pdf

25. Will a new OCI visa sticker be pasted on the new foreign passport
after the expiry of the old passport?
Yes. On payment of requisite fee, a new OCI ‘U’ visa sticker will be
issued. However, the applicant can continue to carry the old passport
wherein the OCI ‘U’ visa sticker was pasted along with new passport for
visiting India without seeking a new visa, as the visa is lifelong.