Questions about Sponsoring parents for GCs that live abroad

galapagos

Registered Users (C)
hey guys, thanks in advance for your help. I got a citizenship through marriage. And I would like to sponsor my parents for GCs. They currently live abroad in their home country. I've read the guide from USCIS and understand that I need to file I 130 for each of the parents. My parents are divorced by the way, but I would like to sponsor both of them just in case they would like to come live here in US. What's the process is all about and how long does it take from your experience? I live in Colorado. Aslo what is I-130 Petition for Parents of US Citizens through Consular Processing? Do I have to put a check mark in the I130 form indicating that the processing is through the local consulate in their home country? Also how does the medical exam in their home country go? Is there a list of USCIS certified doctors abroad I can use so that they have it in advance? Thanks a lot

File separate I-130 with supporting documents. Ask for consular processing on the form. Medical exam is coordinated by the US consulate in their country, not USCIS. Check the website of US consulate nearest to their residence for more information on the medical exam and other details.
Read this document: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/A1en.pdf

Thanks nkm for fast response ! What supporting documents should i submit ? Also I've changed my name , but got name change documents. Should I also submit those ? Also from your experience whats the wait period ?

Thanks nkm for fast response ! What supporting documents should i submit ? Also I've changed my name , but got name change documents. Should I also submit those ? Also from your experience whats the wait period ?

Submit proof of your US citizenship, proof of relationship between you and your parents (your birth certificate containing your name and both parents names), Marriage certificate of your parents, divorce decree. If you have changed you name, provide name change documents. Only copies are required to be submitted along with I-130 application.

Once I-130 is filed, it normally takes around 3-6 months to get approved. Then it is transferred to National Visa Center for more processing (submit more forms, fees) before it is sent to a US consulate of your choosing. The consulate arranges for an interview and applicants are required to complete some more paperwork and medical tests before the interview. If successful, applicants are issued an immigrant visa valid for 6 months (applicants have to travel to US before end of those 6 months) and given some paperwork to be given to US border agents. The green card arrives in the mail a few weeks.

File separate I-130 with supporting documents. Ask for consular processing on the form.

Pls note: There is no place on form I-130 where you can ask for consular processing.

If the relative is already overseas, then consular processing is the default. No need to ask for it, and there's no place on the form to ask for it.

Only if the relative is already in the US and seeking Adjustment of Status, but potentially might not be eligible for AOS, can you specify a location for consular processing in item 22 of form I-130.

Hope this helps.

Laddi, thanks a lot. I was about to ask a question about it. My parents got divorced, I want to petition for both of them since they are living in civil union now. They haven't found their divorce document , would that be an issue? Or should I file anyway with documents proving that they are my parents and their marriage certificate doc before i was born

Laddi, thanks a lot. I was about to ask a question about it. My parents got divorced, I want to petition for both of them since they are living in civil union now. They haven't found their divorce document , would that be an issue? Or should I file anyway with documents proving that they are my parents and their marriage certificate doc before i was born

Any way they can obtain another (replacement copy) divorce document? Honestly, I don't know how important the document is or is not.

In family-based immigration cases, I presume USCIS gathers all kinds of information and collates it to get an overall picture. They might look for if the people concerned have remarried or not. Just my guess.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. Some of the other folks might respond.

Guys, so should I send application for mother and father separately ? If so, why for father they need more documents? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys, thanks in advance for your help. I got a citizenship through marriage. And I would like to sponsor my parents for GCs. They currently live abroad in their home country. I've read the guide from USCIS and understand that I need to file I 130 for each of the parents. My parents are divorced by the way, but I would like to sponsor both of them just in case they would like to come live here in US. What's the process is all about and how long does it take from your experience? I live in Colorado. Aslo what is I-130 Petition for Parents of US Citizens through Consular Processing? Do I have to put a check mark in the I130 form indicating that the processing is through the local consulate in their home country? Also how does the medical exam in their home country go? Is there a list of USCIS certified doctors abroad I can use so that they have it in advance? Thanks a lot

Once I-130 is filed, it normally takes around 3-6 months to get approved. Then it is transferred to National Visa Center for more processing (submit more forms, fees) before it is sent to a US consulate of your choosing. The consulate arranges for an interview and applicants are required to complete some more paperwork and medical tests before the interview. If successful, applicants are issued an immigrant visa valid for 6 months (applicants have to travel to US before end of those 6 months) and given some paperwork to be given to US border agents. The green card arrives in the mail a few weeks.

After 3-6 months waiting time do they send a letter to me or to my parents? You also mentioned more fees ? As i understood its only $420 filing fee .

After 3-6 months waiting time do they send a letter to me or to my parents? You also mentioned more fees ? As i understood its only $420 filing fee .
USCIS sends an approval notice letter to you, the petitioner. The letter states that NVC will be notified for further processing. After a few weeks you will hear from NVC for Affidavit of Support. Once NVC paperwork is complete, it will forward your petition to a US consulate. Additional fees are required:
1) Affidavit of support fee $88 per person paid to NVC,
2) At the time of interview another $230 per person to be paid in local currency to US consulate
3) Once visa issued before traveling to US another $165 per person needs to be paid to USCIS
4) In addition there are fees for medical examination in home country, amount depends on the doctor and tests conducted, to be paid directly to the doctor in local currency.

Last edited by a moderator:
USCIS sends an approval notice letter to you, the petitioner. The letter states that NVC will be notified for further processing. After a few weeks you will hear from NVC for Affidavit of Support. Once NVC paperwork is complete, it will forward your petition to a US consulate. Additional fees are required:
1) Affidavit of support fee $88 per person paid to NVC,
2) At the time of interview another $230 per person to be paid in local currency to US consulate
3) Once visa issued before traveling to US another $165 per person needs to be paid to USCIS
4) In addition there are fees for medical examination in home country, amount depends on the doctor and tests conducted, to be paid directly to the doctor in local currency.

hey guys, I've sent I864 per parent to New Hampshire NVC processing center and $88 fee been paid. What to expect next?

Will be notified of the next step or my parents will be?

Hi Galapagos,

I am in the similar stage. Paid the $88 fee few weeks back and was waiting for the next steps. Now, I am realizing that there is no need to wait. I can go ahead and submit I864. Is it your understanding as well?

Were you able to see if I864 or I864EZ applies in your case? I am thinking that I864EZ will be fine. However, I don't want to take chance. Any help and comments will make me feel more confident.

Thanks.