questions about N-400

andiron4334

Registered Users (C)
folks, i have a few questions here..

my 5 yrs in GC will be complete by year end..so i am looking to apply for citizenship in sep 2006..do we need a lawyer here (again!) how many of you are using lawyers?

1. I am in Miami,florida . So I still file at TSC (texas) and then the file goes to the local ? is this correct or i file directly to local.
2. I plan to travel for 2 wks to india just after I file...the lawyer i spoke to over the phone says: no problems.
3. I plan to move by 2007 may ...i don't see an issue here as long as i file AR thingy and call up INS to update address.
4. My wife: i have applied i-130 for here based on my GC in 2003..got approved but notice got lost ..So need to apply for duplicate ($200)..now my citizenship should be coming by mid 2007 ..so should i apply for her duplicate I-130 approval notice right now and "upgrade" her application once citizen comes my way..I think the procedure remains same except no priority dates for her once i am a citizen...
Do we need lawyer for my wife's case?

appreciate all responses.

andiron

No need for a lawyer unless you have a problem case (felony convictions, multiple DUIs, visa overstays etc). Assuming you don't get stuck in namecheck, the whole process is pretty quick and should only take 4-6 months.

Moving house may complicate matters as it generally necessitates a move of district office and possibly service center. As you might imagine, that opens the door for USCIS to misdirect your files, loose them etc.

Overseas travel after submitting N-400 is not a problem, provided you continue to comply with rules for continuous residence. During interview you will be asked to list any trips outside US, so be prepared and keep records of dates etc.

Can't comment much on your I-130 situation. Which route you take probably depends whether or not you end up stuck in namecheck.