Questions about Interim EAD

mavishka

Registered Users (C)
Well, looking at all the recent posts I concede that EADs are not renewed back-to-back anymore. No arguments there.

Our (my wife's and mine) current EAD is valid till March 12, 2004. We applied for our renewal on Dec 12, 2003. Based on calendar days, we complete 90 days on March 11, 2004.

Can we go to the Philly District Office on March 11 and apply for interim EAD?

Does anyone know whether EADs are issued only on specific days of the week at the Philly office? If so, what are they?

Can we take our 3 year old son with us to the Philly office for obtaining the interim EAD?

We're planning to carry the following documents:
Original I-765 Receipt Notice (for our recent EAD renewal)
Copy of the 485 Receipt Notice
Copy of the 140 Approval Notice
Original Passport

Do we need to carry ADIT photos?
Do we need to carry employment letter?

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

I received my ead back dated last month. From 1/7/2004 to 1/6/2005. I applied online on 10/16.

you can get iEAD at the philly office monday through friday.

it is advisable that you call the local office and set up an appointment. during my visit i was asked if i had made an appointment by phone. but they let me do it anyway--I was there at 8am on a friday morning, with only 5 or 6 people in the line. and i was done in about 10-15 minutes.

i was only asked for 765 reciept and passport.

the office hour and the phone number can be found on their homepage.

good luck!

Mavishka,

To be on the safer side, I would suggest you to carry your SS card as well as DL.

Goodluck.

Thanks for your responses. Really appreciate it.

BTW, my EAD renewal ND is Dec 12, 2003. RD is Dec 10, 2003.

Hugh, I tried looking for their phone number on the USCIS web site but couldn't find it. Yes, I wanted to schedule an appointment to avoid chaos, so I sent them a letter about a month back but no reply till date. Can you provide me the Philly office phone # please? Thanks.

sunnyk2002, thanks for the suggestion, I'll carry my SS card, and DL (which I always carry on me).

EAD

Curtesy of "www.immigration-law.com"

02/13/2004: Post Dating of EAD Renewal Available Per USCIS HQ Permission

According to the Nebraska Service Center, the Service Centers were given a green light by the USCIS HQ in September 2003 to issue the "post-date" EAD so that people can obtain a full 12-month renewed card. Since the EAD holders are permitted to file EAD renewal up to 6 months in advance of the expiration of the current EAD, as much as it is within this time frame, people may be able to apply for EAD extension early on
so that they do not face a crisis of EAD renewal application being still pending at the time of the expiration of the current EAD. Accordingly, people may be able to request the EAD renewal period from the date of expiration of the current EAD until
one year from the starting date. In the renewal application, people may remind the Service Center of November 5, 2003 NSC Q&A so that they can check with the USCIS HQ internal permission back in September 2003.
We commend the USCIS for the right move. It will help somewhat workload of EAD processing. EAD processing takes a large share of the USCIS immigration benefit workloads. Last year, this web site recommended the legacy INS to adopt this procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just called Philly office

As usual, the lady was very curt and told me that they do not schedule appointments, she just gave me the office timings for the week.

I think I'll go on Friday, March 12 to obtain the iEAD.

Hugh, or someone else, can you please tell me whether I can take my 3 yr old son with me to the Philly office since his school is far off and starts later.

Last time when I visited Pittsburg INS office with my dad(visitor from India), he had to wait outside as they asked for a photo ID for him. I didnt take his passport with me. So it is better to carry a photo id of your son.

I doubt whether they'll ask for an Id for my 3 year old since both my spouse and I will be going there.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Mavishka,

I had taken both my sons when I went to Philly office for fingerprinting, and they didn't ask for any ID. So, don't worry... you can take your son with you.

Sunnyk

sunnyk2002, thanks for your response. Even I had taken my son to the Philly ASC on 8th St. The Philly ASC folks are very friendly and I've had a good experience both the times I went there for my fingerprinting.

But for iEAD we'll be going to the District Office on Callowhill. My past experience there hasn't been very pleasant, but this was a long time back when I was a student applying for my OPT-EAD. I've also heard recent stories that staff there is rude, that's the reason I was asking.

IEAD in Philly

Mavishka ,

I am planning to go to the philly office for IEAD. I was going to go to the office in downtown Philly (8th Street). Do you know if they process IEADs there ? The reason I am asking is because u mention in ur posting that you are going to another office, in Callowhill ?

Thx
Mman1234

IEAD in Philly

I don't think the service center on 8th street accepts any applications. I applied for my IEAD at the office on callowhill street.

Re: IEAD in Philly

Originally posted by mman1234
Mavishka ,

I am planning to go to the philly office for IEAD. I was going to go to the office in downtown Philly (8th Street). Do you know if they process IEADs there ? The reason I am asking is because u mention in ur posting that you are going to another office, in Callowhill ?

Thx
Mman1234

The Philly ASC on 8th St handles Fingerprinting and other support services. For iEAD you need to go to the Callowhill District office.

iEAD before expiry of 90 days

I applied for renewal of EAD on 12th Feb 2004. I did not receive a receipt notice yet.
My current EAD expires on May 08, 2004. This means that I am eligible to apply for iEAD sometime at the end of May or beginning of June.

Is it possible to get iEAD a few days before May 8th, even though it may not be 90 days since my EAD notice date?

I work in Rhode Island. There is a USCIS office in Providence and they want you get an appointment for EAD (accordingto the USCIS website). I may have to got Boston. I would appreciate any gurus to provide their input.