Question, US Asylum - Over 21.

IcEWoLF

Hello everyone, I have a question and I am a bit concerned.

I came in the US when I was 12, I am now 23, last year the judge told me I must file my application as an individual.
I am a bit concerned about this and how things will go for me.

My father applied for political asylum and his case is still pending and we have yet to have a hearing.
My lawyer is currently telling me they may have my hearing before my dads which most likely may not be good for me.

Before coming in the US my father was beaten and jailed.
We fled from our home country to come in the US and seeking asylum.

If I go back to my home country these people are still after my father and they will come after me.

My father still has charges against him in our home country, as soon as he steps he will be jailed.
He has court papers proving this.
The opposition party is currently ruling my country and things aren't looking good for us at all.

I am a bit concerned on how they would treat me.

Anyone has any advice?

I agree with ivonlozada, find a lawyer and prepare your case.
As judge have already told you that you are over 21 so you need to have your individual case, you should not be thinking how to be part of your dads application anymore, instead think how can u prove fear of persecution for your self. You can wait a little bit before u apply, if possible, so that they have hearing of your dad. I think if your dad case is denied then it would be hard for you to prove unless you have different circumstances, and if it is granted, you would have chances to get approved too, but you would have to associate your situation with your dad's.

Also i think that your case would also be referred to immigration judge, since it is more than one year, you have been to usa. (if i understood right what u told) so it will also take time and that your dad probably would have hearing before u do, but i would prefer to wait a little bit since you can apply any time (there is no other preference after one year is gone, means it does not make difference between 5 years or 8 years) and specialy you can say it took couple of months for you to find attorney and prepare your case with him after judge told you to file seperately. now i am not aware when your had would have hearing, but if you can see outcome of his case before you apply it would give you and your attorney a good idea.

wishing u a good luck.