Question to the immigrant applicant in oversea (Question about form DS-230 Part 2)

ocworker

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

My wife was trying to fill out the form DS-230 Part 2.
However, both of us were not sure how she should answer the second part of question 33a.

33a. Have you ever applied for a Social Security Number (SSN).
Her answer is "No".

(2nd part of the question)
Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN (and issue a card) or issue you a new card (if you have an SSN)? You must answer "Yes" to this question and the "Consent To Disclosure" in order to recive an SSN and/or card.

My question is:

If we answer "Yes" in the 2nd part of the question 33a, does it mean the Socail Security Administration office will assign her a number and send her a physical card to the address she mentions in the DS-230?

My concern is would it be faster to apply the SS card directly in SSA office; or would it be slower to let USCIS inform SSA and they send us a card later?

The reason is I need my wife to get her SSN asap so I can add her name in my health insurance benefit, get her a bank account, credit card.. etc etc.

Hi, ocworker!

In view of your question particularly on 33a and 33b concerning SSN or the concent to disclosure. you better answer it "YES" for 33a and 33b otherwise, if your answer "NO" the consequences is that the release of your SSN will be delayed. That is what happened to my spouse application for SSN considering that she placed it "NO" in that particular questions perhaps an honest mistake or maybe due to her being so nervous at that time during the pre-intrview at the US embassy. The SSA tells my wife to wait for 4 weeks which is not the normal pace in the releasing of that card. If you look at the 33a portion there is an statement there that says " you must answer "yes" to this question & to the consent to disclosure' in order to receive SSN and/or card.
Anyway, i believe she that can still receive one but only a little bit delay. Hope this helps!