Question to All who Applied for I-485

JanaanKhan

Registered Users (C)
I have got a 2nd RFE for Birth Certificate. My question to everyone over here is:

Did you send your original Birth Certificate with your I-485 applciation?

Does that Birth Certificate have a raised seal on it??

I just got a Birth Certificate issued but it doesn't have a raised seal on it and lawyer is insiting that it should have a raised seal on it and I should send the original Birth Certificate.

Can you guys post your response.

Thanks

P.S: I am from Pakistan

Birth Certificate

I sent copies of m birth certificate, with translation. The original does not have a raised seal. I might still get an RFE if and when my case is touched. Sorry couldn't be of much help.

Hi Janaan Khan,

I had both in urdu and transalated birth certificate from union council stamped not raised one. My wife's birth certificate i got translated from pakistani consulate new york and submitted. I did not recieve any RFE so far.
-------------------------------
RD 08/29/2002.
ND 09/13/2002.
FP 01/13/2002.
Ist EAD 11/24/2002
2nd EAD 09/09/2003
AOS ../../200? :cool:

if it is iin a different

language u need it translated. i think it should be from govt authority to be valid unless it is from a church;)

Other option would be to get tos docs translated by a US embassy approved translator back home. That's what I did, I attached the translations with translator's sworn affidait for accuracy, plus a certification that the translator guy is acknowledged by US consulate/embassies there.

I guess it helped that my dad was a lawyer :p

One of my friend got his GC approved and he had RFE on Birth Certificate.

I didn't have any Birth Certificate. During old days there was no concept of such Certificate.

So I got birth Certificate from Indian (In your case I hope Pakistan Consulate will provide) Consulate. and filed I 485.

Meanwhile as suggested by my friend I am also preparing an affidavit from near relative, in case of RFE you can immediately submit that.

Ask your lawyer if you are not able to produce required Birth Certificate, affidavit may help.

Hope this will help.

Birth cirtificates issued by the consulate are accepted as secondary DOB evidence by INS pursuant to an RFE but not as primary evidence. They will want to see a birth certificate issued by a municipal authority showing the name, place, date of birth and name/s of parents. Further the birth should have been entered into the municipal authority's records within __ years (I am not sure of this) from the birth itself for the certificate to be valid. In the absence of such a certificate, INS will accept an affidavit from a parent or a relative/friend stating the above details, but only if it is accompanied by a letter from the municipal authority stating that they have performed a search and could not find an entry in their records for the person in question.

There are some variations on the above, including a combination of birth certificate and affidavit that between them establish all the relevant details, that also seem to have gained acceptance by the INS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sankrit,

Are you sure about the accompanied letter from the municipal authority in case of affidavit? If so I have to get that as well.

My friend had not mentioned that. He is back in India so I can not contact him.

Thanks

Thanks Sankrit.
I will take action for that.

As sure as one can be when dealing with a fickle entity like the INS.

I am sure that people know for sure that they are not sure for any damn thing when dealing with USCIS.

:)

Sankrityayan is right, because I have a 2nd RFE on Birth Certificate, and what I had already sent them was from the Consulate of Pakistan which is not acceptable. They want something that is registered with the civil authories of the country you are born in.

The lastest on I got from Union Counsel, it has an issue date of oct-2003, according to lawyer it doesn't matter when the Birth was reported as long as it is registered. It is in English.

For those who may receive an RFE on Birth Certificate:
It should be from a civil authority of your country of Birth that registers Births.
Name of Both parents have to be on it.(BCIS specificaly asked for it)

I didn't send an original copy. Lets see what happens.........

Yes the birth should have been registered 1 year from birth for the brth certificate it to be valid. It does not matter when the certificate is actually issued.