Question Related to I-129F Visa

moona2010

Hi, My brother is US Citizen who is about to get married to girl based in India. The marriage proposal was initiated by mother's friend. And was accepted by mutual consent of would-be bride and groom. So this is basically an arranged marriage. My brother had filed Fiance Visa to get her here. The Immigration Department is asking for an evidence that the boy and girl have met. And if not is there anything Cultural or Religious that would prevent them from seeing each other.

How should this question be answered, that its very common in India and some other Asian countries to have arranged marriage. Please advise....

Arranged marriages are fine- many people have gone this route and filed for their foreign spouse/fiance.

However, there are very few actual religions that prohibit the bride and groom from actually meeting one another. This is the problem. If their religion does not prohibit them meeting, then they must meet first before the fiance visa is filed (otherwise it will be denied and the filing fee would have been lost). If the actual religion DOES indeed prohibited the bride and groom from meeting before the marriage takes place, then they need to provide substantial evidence that this is the case.

The arranged marriage should not be an issue. However not meeting each other is an issue. There is a waiver that can be sought but it is very difficult to obtain it. I would strongly advise the US citizen to go and visit his fiancee' in India.

How should this question be answered, that its very common in India and some other Asian countries to have arranged marriage.