Question regarding the job market?

achyuth

For those of you trying for jobs - what do you think about the current job scenario? Is it improving? How about Atlanta? I am talking about the job situation in software development - C++ and Java.

Your skillset is great. I don't know about Atlanta job market, but in general i think IT job market is good. None of my friends are on bench.

Thanks for the reply dsatish.

I see a lot of people are getting contracting jobs. I am particularly interested in the permanent jobs. Has this opened up?

How are the rates/salary - for 5 yrs, for 9yrs, for 10 yrs etc?

Well it depends on how low u are willing to go to get a project. If u are willing to work for 40-50 corp to corp then the chances are okay. If you are willing to do 35-40 corp to corp the chances are good. If you can do 30-35 and lower on corp to corp..i guarantee u won't be on the bench a single day. This is what is happening in NJ/NY area. Lot of desperate guys go to NJ/NY to get jobs and can get it easily there.
The job market overall is okay..only that there are a lot of people available. Java skills don't carry much wait.

Bottom line- If you want a job go to NJ/NY.

Java is just a basic language, but learn the frameworks supported by it. J2EE, Webservices , Websphere, Weblogic and you will still be fine.

-sai

Question for Girish

Which is better ? A long term contract or perm ? I have a perm offer in NJ and a long term contract in remote upstate NY. Need all your valuable inputs .

gambler,
In this job market, gettting a permanent job is very difficult. So if you have a permanent offer, go and grab it. The only time i would think about not taking up a permanent position is if it is a start up company (which might close down any day).

For other IT guys,
Which market is good among :
1) C++
2) Java (J2EE etc)
3) Back-end developer (PL/SQL, Unix,Perl)
4) ASP.Net
5) VB.Net / C#
6) Testing

I know that ERP is hot. Also Mainframe is doing good. I think VC++ is also doing good. But then, one can not shift easily to these platforms. May be that's why they are doing good.

EAD2003 ...

What is 40-50 , 30-35 , 35-40 Corp .... Can you please explain .
Are you talking about percentages ?? Please explain.

Originally posted by EAD2003
Well it depends on how low u are willing to go to get a project. If u are willing to work for 40-50 corp to corp then the chances are okay. If you are willing to do 35-40 corp to corp the chances are good. If you can do 30-35 and lower on corp to corp..i guarantee u won't be on the bench a single day. This is what is happening in NJ/NY area. Lot of desperate guys go to NJ/NY to get jobs and can get it easily there.
The job market overall is okay..only that there are a lot of people available. Java skills don't carry much wait.

Bottom line- If you want a job go to NJ/NY.

He was referring to the hourly rates eternity.

Is anyone out there working as a Development Manager (not a project or product manager)? How do one become a development manager from a Project Lead without an MBA degree? Any thoughts?

Hi dsatish,

I do not think ERP is hot.

Every person on the street can get into ERP.

ERP markets are pretty saturated and too much of competition.

I think skills like C++ , Java, .net and other web technologies are better options in the long run.

Thanks

Plain Vanilla java or ASP is saturated. You have to learn technologies associated with it to survive like (Webservices, J2EE, APP servers etc.)

-sai

I guess money wins

I am thinking of taking up the long term contract. Thanks Girish and Dsatish for your valuable advise.

Pingpong is right.. it is going to be the coders world where they can adjust faster to new technologies...

Coders world! Are you guys going to compete with freshers out of college. Face it friends, coding is going to get saturated. There are too many of them now already.
-sai