question regarding ssn card

nahur

Registered Users (C)
got pasport stamped for me and wife(prev on h4) while applying for ssn for wife they told she would get ssn card with stamp "authorized to work with INS Authoriz....)

is this normal they told that once she has GC they will issue one without stamp

same case for me they said they will issue a card without stamp once i have physical GC

is this normal??

Thanks

Go again to the SSN office

I applied for a new SSN card without having the physical card. The lady clerk saw the stamp on the passport and she said that i would get the new SSN without the stamp.

You should go again.

No Title

Personally I decided to wait for the physical GC before visiting a SS office. I lost enough time in birocratic mazes already.

The SSN card is marked as \'Valid for employment with INS authorization.\' I have the INS authorization so I do not see the big deal. You need to show the INS documents anyway before being allowed to work for another company, so what\'s the benefit that you are getting by repeated visits to the local SS office?

I actualy asked this question on the SSA site. They sent back some mumbo-jumbo containing answers to so many questions that it is totally unclear what their official policy is.

I 551 Stamp is as good as GC

You have been misguided. I 551 stamp is as good as GC, so go back and ask them to issue you and your wife SSN cards without INS authorization to work. Speak to someone who knows the law.

Our stamping was done on 12/09 and we submitted fresh SSN applications and showed them the I 551 stamp. They accepted our applications and are issuing us new cards without INS autorization to work. Hoep this helps..........

No Title

It is not a big deal but you do not always have to show the
INS document for employment eligibility verification. A driver\'s
license & a no-restriction SSN card are sufficient according to
laws. But since laws requires that we carry the card anyway so
I do not see any advantage of taking out driver\'s license
over using the green card (either way, you have to show
the human resources your SSN for the tax purpose).

But many banks also wants a copy of SSN card when issuing
loans/credir cards, I don\'t know if a SSN card with "
Work only with Authorization by INS" has any negative
effect. They may think that since you are a foreigner,
the risk that you borrow a lot of money and then
flee teh country is higher.

conclusion

i guess i have 2 option

1> go back and talk to the supervisor /...

2> wait for physical card

Thanks a ton

No Title

I talked to my HR, she said Drivers license with SSN will only work for citizens all others should show proof either GC or H1.

No Title

It does not matter what HR says. But if the HR
insist upon seeing our green cards, do you think
we just show them our cards or it is worth pointing
to the HR that they are violating laws by not
accepting DL+SSN card? So in a certain sense,
because most of us would just let them see our cards
rather than go to file a law suit against such HR,
so what HR says, regardless, correct or not, still
matters.

Finally, of course it is not a big deal except when
the employment eligibility happens during the
time you lose your GC.

No Title

I guess sometimes that the HR also want to be protective.
I want to know if the employers have any liability if
an illegal immigrant who happen to have a DL and a
no-restriction SSN card was hired by putting down a
faked A# and such DL and SSN cards. It seems to me
if the employers are not responsible, then there
is a big loophole here. An small Americans company can
hire a lot of illgel aliens by subtley encouraging
the people to use the DL/SSN Card combinations.
There is no loss for either parties.

ss card

as far as i know, the SS card with "Work only with auth...." does not have any negative impact with the banks. I have been able to buy a house, even before my green card approval, with the social security card and all my applications. You should also have a good credit history.

No Title

the rest of the story

Today morning i went to the local ssn office and spoke to the lady at the counter, regarding what had happened and what input you folks gave me. I told her the law states that the stamp is as good as GC BLAH BLAH BLAH

She was not willing to buy it. She said as per the law she can only give ssn with the stamp.

What people do at other ssn offices she did not want to get into

so i went back home as they refused to give me an ssn without stamp
she said they could give one only when i produce Green card. she said the stamp is temprory blah blah blah.....

when i reached home i had received card in my mail box

i immediately went back to her, met the same lady at the counter and she readily took our details and said ssn without stamp will arrive in 2 weeks time

i got the plastic card in 23 days. Checked out all details on card and it was OK

B.T.W in the green card mail there is a document(GC is pasted on this doc just like the one u get with credit card)

there is a section for Employment Authorisation Card
it says
* if you apply for a job you may show your card to the employer to show you are authorised to work while card is valid
*if you are already employed and this card extends your employment auth., you may show this new card to ur employer to show that your work authorisation has been extended

Thanks a ton folks

No Title

I really dont think banks or credit institutions care one bit about the "Valid for work only with...." kinda stamp. I got my mortgage approved a few months before my last H1 expired. I knew I would be filing my 485 shortly and was not going to extend my H1 anymore.

No Title

This is like that FDA laws that requires that any store
see a photo ID from anyone who is below 28. A customer
can refuse to show the ID by insisting that he is above
28. If the shop assistance ask for the proof, he can say
"By Federal Law, only people under 28 have to show the
proof. I am above 28".

Number for TSC

All,

I have the following number for TSC 214 381 1423. The number is busy all the time. Has the number changed? Is there a particular time to call?

Appreciate your answers.
Samaya

No Title

yes she used the word according to the law...

i told her my attorney says.....(just made it up to put pressure on her)

she said the attorney needs to contact the department.she said your Attorny is not aware of the existing regulations...

reapplying for ssn

Even if we already have an SSn do we still have to apply for it again after getting GC?

No Title

yes after gc u will get ssn card without the ins stamp "authorised to work with ins prmission..."

u will get same number but new card

dig back in the forum for details it has been coverd a lot of times

good luck

SSN for 4 year old

We just got our GC stamped. I have a 4 year old daughter. Do I need to apply for a SSN for her.

Another question, did you have to fill a new I9 form?