Question regarding spouce's age and financial ability

Hello,

The process should not take 2-3 yrs if it is a citizen filing for spouse.

you have to file form I-864(financial support) along with I-485.

I think the sponsor has to be at least 21 yrs old. You can double check in the form I-864.

There are income requirements for the sponsor, depending on no. of people in the household and poverty guidelines. detailed information is in I-864.

Co-sponsors are possible. co-sponsor need not be related to the beneficiary.

hope this helps,

Financial

Hi. What I understand is the USC must meet income requirement 125% of poverty line (is this right?).

What happens if the USC (for example, my potential USC wife) is a college student and I, the alien, will provide the main income to family? I am very well qualified in financial requirement. Will this work for GC by marriage?

Thanks!

ssg10 said:
Hi. What I understand is the USC must meet income requirement 125% of poverty line (is this right?).

What happens if the USC (for example, my potential USC wife) is a college student and I, the alien, will provide the main income to family? I am very well qualified in financial requirement. Will this work for GC by marriage?

Thanks!

Your USC wife fills I-864 eventhough she has no income. You file I-864A to include your income to meet the minumum requirements (though you need to qualify first as household member/sponsored immigrant). If not, joint sponsor is the easiest way out.

Thanks

By the way, what did you mean by "(though you need to qualify first as household member/sponsored immigrant). " ?

I think min age is 18 from the form.

ssg10 said:
By the way, what did you mean by "(though you need to qualify first as household member/sponsored immigrant). " ?

In order to use your income, you need to first qualify as a household member who is also the sponsored immigrant. Pl look at instructions on the I-864/I-864A for more information.

What will happen is that your friend will be granted a conditional permenant residency--that is if him and his wife have been married for less than 3 years-- a couple months after he and his wife file the papers. The conditional permenant residency will be valid for 2 years till he is able to be granted an unconditional permenant residency status.

chills said:
What will happen is that your friend will be granted a conditional permenant residency--that is if him and his wife have been married for less than 3 years--

CORRECTION: You will get a conditional GC if you have been married for less than 2 years at the time of your interview/approval, not 3 years.