Question Regarding Future Employee Greencard Process

vijayprabhu

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I have a question regarding the Future Employee Green Card Process. I am currently working for an insurance company and they do not sponsor Green Cards. However I would like to continue working for my current company. I heard that there is a future employee Greencard process wherein I can continue working for the current company while my Greencard is processed by another company. My questions are as follows.

1. If another company sponsors my Green Card, should I change my job to that company? If so at what point am I expected to change my job? Should both the job descriptions be the same or can they differ?

*Ideally I don't want to leave my current job position since I like my job very much and have a very good working environment* I would really appreciate if any of you can shed light on the Future Employee Green Card Process or let me know any other I can have my Green Card Processed while I continue working for my current company.

Thanks,
Vijay

Last edited by a moderator:
The application for green card contemplates future employment - meaning that you can continue working for your current employer, convince a second employer to start your green card process and start working for the second employer once the green card is approved.

In reality, it may be somewhat tricky to convince the second employer to start your green card process when you do not work for them, they are not familiar with your services, and you are not likely to be able to start working for them for a minimum of a few months and, in all likelihood, few years (this depends on your background/education/experience and your country).

Thanks for your reply- A few more questions

The application for green card contemplates future employment - meaning that you can continue working for your current employer, convince a second employer to start your green card process and start working for the second employer once the green card is approved.

In reality, it may be somewhat tricky to convince the second employer to start your green card process when you do not work for them, they are not familiar with your services, and you are not likely to be able to start working for them for a minimum of a few months and, in all likelihood, few years (this depends on your background/education/experience and your country).

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. Say if I am able to find a company that is willing to sponsor for my Green Card for a future job opening,

1. Should the job profile of that company be the same as the one I am currently working on?
2. I have a colleague at my workplace who owns a consulting company but he has very few employees and he is willing to help me out. Can I apply for my Green card through his company? Are there any potential risks involved in that case?
3. How much do you typically charge for consultation?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Vijay

Vijay,

The profile of the company sponsoring your green card based on future employment does not have to be the same. However, your experience and qualifications must match the typical requirements for the future job. In other words, if your experience and education is in IT and you are working for IT company now, for example, the company sponsoring your future green card need not be IT company, however, your position with it must be in IT-related field.

You can have your friend sponsor your green card - but at some point of the process it is possible that you may have to show 1) the ability of the company to pay your salary once you are hired upon approval of the green card, and 2) the arms' length relationship and negotiation between you and the company. Other than these two possible issues, based on the facts you provide, your friend's company should be able to sponsor you.

Best regards-