Question Re: Empl Auth Card

seriousmojo

Registered Users (C)
I'd really love some thoughts from any of you who have gone through this process. I received my EAD card on September 13, 2002 (just a few days ago). My company/lawyer had filed my I485 AOS about 3 weeks ago.

Now that I have this EAD card, what does this exactly mean? I have no intention of quitting my job or anything like that, but can I now sleep even though the economy is still bad and things could change?

Also, is this an indication of how long I need to wait for my GC?

It means, you can work a second job or go about finding another job when you are terminated prior to adjudication.

It is no indication of your GC process time. It may take few months to few years depending on your luck

Interesting topic. So how EAD helps me if I am laid off while I am waiting for my adjustment (I-485) to finish?

You really dont need your EAD when you are working with your sponsoring employer anyways,,,
You can work anywhere you want, including mcdonalds, with your EAD, when you are laid off....

To sunny J.

So, in other words, my AOS will finish even if the sponsoring company laid me off? And if I don't have EAD I'll be able to stay in the country but will not be able to work until I get the EAD?

I actually always thought that until AOS is finished and I have a stamp in my passport or a plastic card I will have to leave the country if my employment is terminated. Was I wrong?

Your question is not clear to me: But here is what I understood.

If your company lay off you, does it mean you have to leave the country, even if you dont have the plastic/AOS completed:

The answer is no. You can stay in the country until your AOS is adjudicated ( approved/Denied). You can work at any other place with your EAD during this adjudication process. Usually, One will be with H1 visa when working with his/her sponsoring company. However, when you leave the company but your AOS is not completed, then you can either get a new H1 with the new employer or work with your EAD.

Hope this clarifies the misconception...

sunny, thanks for your thoughts.

i get very mixed responses on WHO you can work for under EAD. the reason for this, I believe, is because INS will look for proof that you had intention to work for your employer and in the same capacity as when you initially filed for AOS. if you work at mcdonald's, as you say, that does not justify the case.

thank you for the information.

PS. Does anyone know what PD, ND, RD, etc etc are? I'm new to this process and do not know. Also, how do I find out these dates?