Question on signing the naturalization certificate

veeru71

Registered Users (C)
I had my oath ceremony today and got the naturalization certificate.
The whole process took about 3 hours.

Here is my question.....
At the time of the interview, I was asked to print my name on the photo
and so I had simply written my full name in all capital letters.

At the oath ceremony, we were given an instructions sheet explaining
how to sign the certificate and it says "you must sign your name in cursive.
You must sign your photo in the same manner if you have not
already done so".

Now I am not sure whether to ...
simply PRINT my name so that it would match with the one on the poto
OR
sign in cursive (full name in continuous writing)
OR
sign in cursive & also sign again on the photo in cursive

I am cursing myself for not reading the sheet at the time of oath ceremony
as I could have asked them for clarification.

If you had similiar issue, can you please share your experience ?
Thanks for your help.

My timeline....

PD : June'05 last week.
FP : Aug'05 last week.
Interview : Oct'06 last week
Oath : 1/25/06
DO : Bos

lucky of you. at least you got a sheet telling you how to sign. I did not get documentation telling me how I should sign the oath letter. I just signed as I signed on the picture (which it is NOT in cursive). sigh

Sign as close as you signed the photo as possible. It is not a big deal though. Nobody would ever care and you can change your signature as many times are you want in your life without any notice.

Congratulations!

These are the instructions I got along with my naturalization certificate:

PROPER SIGNATURE FOR YOUR NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE
Your naturalization certificate is not valid until you sign it. You must sign your certificate in cursive, and the signature must match your name as it is printed on the certificate. DO NOT USE INITIALS
This is followed by a sample signature.

I had printed my name on the picture in all capitals as per the officer's instruction. I signed my naturalization certificate in cursive including my middle name exactly as my name appeared on the naturalization certificate. I believe this is the only place you will need to sign like this.

All other signatures (on passport form, on the passport after I received it etc.) had my regular signature (the one I use with credit cards).

Regards,
v_m

veeru71 said:
I had my oath ceremony today and got the naturalization certificate.
The whole process took about 3 hours.

Here is my question.....
At the time of the interview, I was asked to print my name on the photo
and so I had simply written my full name in all capital letters.

At the oath ceremony, we were given an instructions sheet explaining
how to sign the certificate and it says "you must sign your name in cursive.
You must sign your photo in the same manner if you have not
already done so".

Now I am not sure whether to ...
simply PRINT my name so that it would match with the one on the poto
OR
sign in cursive (full name in continuous writing)
OR
sign in cursive & also sign again on the photo in cursive

I am cursing myself for not reading the sheet at the time of oath ceremony
as I could have asked them for clarification.

If you had similiar issue, can you please share your experience ?
Thanks for your help.

My timeline....

PD : June'05 last week.
FP : Aug'05 last week.
Interview : Oct'06 last week
Oath : 1/25/06
DO : Bos

Thank you all.

v_m,
What is really bugging me is that the instructions also say that "you must also sign the photos in similar fashion if you have not already done so ".

Probably I am thinking too much but I am just trying to avoid my passport processing going into rough weather.

I unfortunately screwed up when signing my certificate and used my customary signature on it (first name, middle initial, last name), while my full middle name is on the certificate. I don't recall receiving instructions oin this (nothing in writing), but probably I wasn't listening too closely as I was so excited that day. This never caused a problem with getting my passport -- maybe I was just lucky they didn't dwell on this.

I was explicitly told at my interview to PRINT IN UPPERCASE my FULL name (all three) on my photo. At least then I was listening!

Yeah the wording is a little confusing, USCIS doesn't want the excitement to end even after you get the certificate :rolleyes: , IMHO I think you should just sign your full name on the certificate in cursive and forget about it.

Good Luck!

v_m

veeru71 said:
v_m,
What is really bugging me is that the instructions also say that "you must also sign the photos in similar fashion if you have not already done so ".

Probably I am thinking too much but I am just trying to avoid my passport processing going into rough weather.

v_m said:
Yeah the wording is a little confusing, USCIS doesn't want the excitement to end even after you get the certificate :rolleyes: , IMHO I think you should just sign your full name on the certificate in cursive and forget about it.

Good Luck!

v_m
FYI - I wrote my name in block letters on the pitcure and I used the block letters to sign my name on the certificate (based on the USCIS instructions). Good luck.