Question on Part 8. G)--Friends Dilemma

NEWFILER

Registered Users (C)
This is regarding Q by a friend while fillingup his employment Based N400.
He has been married only once(to her) and similar is his wive's(to him) and now they are still married.
The question on 8.G) is--How many times your current spouse has been married?
My advise was to fill --1 and do not answer any thing below because she was not previously married.
But he (not convinced) and favors to think it is -0(since this only marriage for both) and
he wishes to see second (rather third opinion too) on this.
So now it is in Forurm's court.:)
(Pl. do not say why he cant post etc.Thanks)

The question on 8.G) is--How many times your current spouse has been married?

Answer is 1. You do not need a public court for this. Actually, how many marriage certificates does the spouse have? That should ideally be the number of times the spouse got married.

Pl. do not say why he cant post etc.Thanks)

I would not have asked, but your editorial has tempted me. Why can't he post?

We deliberated upon this very question in this here board, and the correct answer would be 0, but it could also be 1. I asked the IO and he said it does not matter, in a situation like that, they know what one means.

It's likely that the person who wrote the section of the form also doubles as the person writing software requirements :eek:... Maybe there should be an N-400 UML form...

I am like your friend and interestingly I forgot to write anything there in both forms (mine & my spouse's).
So at interview I was asked this again and I explained what your friend situation is and IO wrote 1 in my form.

So yes, correct answer is 1.

It's likely that the person who wrote the section of the form also doubles as the person writing software requirements :eek:... Maybe there should be an N-400 UML form...

Hi Perpetual,
Don't blame your bugs on reuirements :)

If I ever become a law maker, I'll propose an amendment to change N400 to re-word this question as

How many times has your current spouse been married including your current marriage?

If I ever become a law maker, I'll propose an amendment to change N400 to re-word this question as

How many times has your current spouse been married including your current marriage?

I would add another amendment to this...

If you are currently married, how many times has your current spouse been married including your current marriage ?

This question gets asked over and over. There should be a sticky thread for how to answer the "How many times you have been married" so we don't have 100 new threads asking the same thing.

Yes Sticky thread is good idea as proposed by Jacko- as this is the common Q for 'any based' N400.
This solves to know the cases akin to 'case laws decisoins' but here by members info' and by IO decisions.
Take in a Lighter vien--
1)If you say to IO that you have not understood the Q fully and do not know what to answer-the zealous one may write 'applicant's english understanding not up to the mark' since not understood the CIS mind.
2)If you answer with out knowing the mind,remember you are on oath.:)
So what is the consensus on the original issue Pl.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I should dig out my significant other's 1990's N-400 to see how it was worded back then - I know there were some other questions that have been reworded since (Selective Service Question back then for example)

Before we quibble about the process, tho, look at other countries. My country of birth follows a 'free style' naturalization process that is (a) not documented well, if at all, (b) has very little in terms of required vs optional documents and (c) is processed by a normal court, not by the country's equivalent Immigration officials. As such, 2-3 years and hefty legal fees are the norm, and DIY is nearly impossible.

Before we quibble about the process, tho, look at other countries. My country of birth follows a 'free style' naturalization process that is (a) not documented well, if at all, (b) has very little in terms of required vs optional documents and (c) is processed by a normal court, not by the country's equivalent Immigration officials. As such, 2-3 years and hefty legal fees are the norm, and DIY is nearly impossible.

I agree that the best or normal scenario in US is better than most countries. However, the worst scenario can be as bad as any other country.