Question on Name Change

r00724

Registered Users (C)
I have a question regarding my name change. In N-400, you have an option to change your name so I did. Now I got the interview call and they are asking if my name is different then it was on green card, I need a legal document showing my name was changed. My question is, since I changed my name on N-400, do I need a legal proof? If I do, where n how can I get it? Also, I just switch my first name to middle n middle to first becaue in Asian countries the middle name is your real name.

I have a question regarding my name change. In N-400, you have an option to change your name so I did. Now I got the interview call and they are asking if my name is different then it was on green card, I need a legal document showing my name was changed. My question is, since I changed my name on N-400, do I need a legal proof? If I do, where n how can I get it? Also, I just switch my first name to middle n middle to first becaue in Asian countries the middle name is your real name.

The name on your GC and on your Social Security card is the name you should always use. Now if you use any other name, then there should be a spot where you typed in that info on the N-400 Application, so that the officer will know. Now, even though you requested a name change, I don't think it is legal to start using your new name yet. During this time, you should still use the same name that is on the GC & SSC.

I read somewhere on the forums that it will take a long long time to get the name changed and oath if I change my name through judicial oath. Is it true? Should I just not change my name and do it after I get my citrizenship? Any thoughts or advices?

hm, this is quite odd as i have gotten different responses about the same exact questions. i had gotten my temp. GC in my maiden name, but then applied for 10 yr green card under my married name. when i received the notice of action letter from USCIS, i went to the DMV with the notice of action which had my married name, and with my marriage certificate and changed my driver's license form maiden to married (kept maiden in full as a middle name). then went to SS office and changed my name there too. in meantime i received my permanent GC with my married name. so a year later when i applied for N400 i used my married name as my SS card and my GC have my married name. that seals the deal for me. hope any of this helps you out.

vlorak,

Can you please post your timeline for N-400? I just want to see how recent was your case completed

my timeline is as follows
N400 appl send dec. 16th, 2007
priority date dec. 19th, 2007
fingerprint notice jan. 16th, 2008
FP done feb 13, 2008
waiting game has began :)

I read somewhere on the forums that it will take a long long time to get the name changed and oath if I change my name through judicial oath. Is it true? Should I just not change my name and do it after I get my citrizenship? Any thoughts or advices?

This was my exp with Atlanta DO. This may not be true for all DO and may not be true in all cases. It happened in my wife's case and a friend's case. This does not mean it will happen to all but it can happen. You have to keep that possibility in mind.

Which DO are you in?

You have two options to change name, one via judicial oath or via local court. You can request name change during interview and they can schedule judicial oath with new name. Keep in mind some DOs do not offer name change during oath. If you opt for judicial, then it all depends on oath schedule, how many oaths they do each year and how many people per oath and all. So it can take long before your turn comes up. (Unless your IO is very nice and puts you in next oath day)

If you decide to go local court route, it is not that hard either. It can take about 200+$ (filing fee and newspaper ad fee) but it gets done in 2/2.5 months.
Check forum as this has been discussed a lot.
Hope that helps

This was my exp with Atlanta DO. This may not be true for all DO and may not be true in all cases. It happened in my wife's case and a friend's case.. This does not mean it will happen to all but it can happen. You have to keep that possibility in mind.

Which DO are you in?

You have two options to change name, one via judicial oath or via local court. You can request name change during interview and they can schedule judicial oath with new name. Keep in mind some DOs do not offer name change during oath. If you opt for judicial, then it all depends on oath schedule, how many oaths they do each year and how many people per oath and all. So it can take long before your turn comes up. (Unless your IO is very nice and puts you in next oath day)

If you decide to go local court route, it is not that hard either. It can take about 200+$ (filing fee and newspaper ad fee) but it gets done in 2/2.5 months.
Check forum as this has been discussed a lot.
Hope that helps

Thanks for the info N400Atl, I am willig to spend $200 later rather then getting stuck. In my case, I am not really changing my name but I would say just re-arranging a little. So basically I am eliminating my first name and my middle name would become my first name with no middle initials. Since I already noted that on the N-400 app. where they ask you if you want to change the name should I let it go as is or should I tell the IO that I dont want to change my name?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info N400Atl, I am willig to spend $200 later rather then getting stuck. In my case, I am not really changing my name but I would say just re-arranging a little. So basically I am eliminating my first name and my middle name would become my first name with no middle initials. Since I already noted that on the N-400 app. where they ask you if you want to change the name should I let it go as is or should I tell the IO that I dont want to change my name?

What you are doing though is probably considered name change :-( Since your first name becomes different in your scenerio.

You can make changes to N-400 during interview. IO will go through each item in N-400 with you. At that time, you can tell IO what you want on your Nat cert and he/she will tell you if they can do it without judicial oath or not. If he/she says that the change you want would result in judicial oath, you can ask her if she knows schedule etc but you can then make the choice.

If you decide to do it from outside, it is very simple (Atleast in Atlanta area) There are 4 forms to fill in, submit to court clark (With fees) They run the ad and mail you date. You go infront of judge and tell him why you want name change and he/she signes the order. Ofcourse it may be different in different states.
Hope that helps!!