Question on name change on N400 (Biometrics done on 2/29; serviced by San Jose, California)

Hi,

N400 submitted on Feb 1 2016, biometrics appt completed on Feb 29th 2016.

Name change ( not a typo from the GC, a totally new first and last name opted for ) on the N400 form checked. Am hearing conflicting opinions and experiences on people who say that the USCIS in San Jose, CA doesn't do judicial oaths here. So these are my questions:

1. How does it work if a name change is opted for on the N400? Are we asked to wait for a judge to be available so a judicial oath can be administered?

OR

2. Will we have to do it separately after we get our citizenship (through the county court for instance?)

3. If Q2 is a Yes, then when should I start the process? Do I have to have it completed on or about the same time my citizenship might come through?

4. What about travel? I know we have the ability to push our interview and/oath date, but might risk getting delayed. I will have to travel to India for 3 weeks in May/June. As long as I still have a current Indian passport/ GC, I should be good?

Any inputs are appreciated, thanks much

Best
Meera

Hi,

Name change ( not a typo from the GC, a totally new first and last name opted for ) on the N400 form checked. Am hearing conflicting opinions and experiences on people who say that the USCIS in San Jose, CA doesn't do judicial oaths here. So these are my questions:

1. How does it work if a name change is opted for on the N400? Are we asked to wait for a judge to be available so a judicial oath can be administered?

OR

2. Will we have to do it separately after we get our citizenship (through the county court for instance?)

3. If Q2 is a Yes, then when should I start the process? Do I have to have it completed on or about the same time my citizenship might come through?

4. What about travel? I know we have the ability to push our interview and/oath date, but might risk getting delayed. I will have to travel to India for 3 weeks in May/June. As long as I still have a current Indian passport/ GC, I should be good?

Best
Meera

Hello Meera,

Once you have received Citizenship Certificate, you may request the Form 565 to replacement of Citizenship certificate for Legal name change through U.S. state court order or similar state vital record.

Hi,

OR

Best
Meera
Did you have your swearing ceremony? How long after the interview did it take for the oath?