Question on Leaving the employer....

kcv1

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Can we change jobs when the primary applicant has received his green card ( past 6 months) while still waiting for the dependents GC approval...??

Thanks,

JoeF,

My actual question was about the impact on the dependents approval while the primary applicant has received his GC and has been with the employer for more than 6 months after the GC approval.

Any idea on this subject??

Thnks,

I am in the same boat. My application has been approved but wife's not. I am not sure what would be the impact on her application if i do a job change. I dont think it would be a problem, but like to hear from experts.

JoeF said:
Hmm, this has been discussed here at great length...
In general, you have to have the good faith intent to work for your employer. Lawyers generally recommend to work at least 6 months for the employer before changing jobs.
See http://www.murthy.com/aosfaqs.html#10

Two days back, I received the I485 approval notice. I have not got approval notices by regular mail yet. I am already thinking to change my job. It's been 4 years and desperately want to change jobs. I saw your above link, it says about possible problem while applying for U.S citizenship down the road. My question primarily is if there is any problem with the sponsered employer affecting my green-card if I immediately change job. Your response is appreciated. Thanks.

Guys,
I have received the aproval notice and going for stamping next week. In the mean time planning the switch already.
Just out of curiosity, How would the CIS knows during citizenship that I have changed job or stayed with the same employer for six months. Do we need to show any documents at that point of time?

If I switch employer do I need to inform CIS after the 485 approval? If so what if I change my employer every six months?
What if I start my own company? Do I need to inform CIS?

Wait till dependents are approved

IANAL. I would not suggest changing the job till the dependents get approved. JoeF has his valued opinion that the dependents have not committed anything to USCIS. However, when I called up 1-800# couple of weeks back, the call was transferred to the IIO who told me that I can change the job anytime after green card. But I would still stick with 6 months principle as JoeF/Murthy and others are recommending.

A question that IIO asked me was if my dependents got approved. That rings a bell in my mind that if any RFE is sent for the dependents, it could have a question about the principal applicant’s job. So my suggestion is based on this “theory”.

However, I am not an attorney and would suggest you to discuss you case with specifics with a qualified immigration attorney.

JoeF said:
The employer can of course complain to CIS, and they then may start to investigate. At the time of becoming a PR, you have to have the good faith intent to work for the sponsoring employer "indefinitely," i.e., you should not have any thought of leaving the employer.
Lawyers usually recommend to wait at least 6 months before changing jobs; that helps to show that you had the intent to work for the employer.

I know JoeF is hell bent on referring to the same old Murthy's website info but he fails to post one of the Rights of becoming a PR, and that is:

To be employed in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing. (http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm)

There is no LAW which says that you have to be with the employer for one day or one year or for that matter, one hundred years. Previously, there was a restriction that you have to stay with the employer for two years and congress removed that restriction and they introducted the *intent* part - which is very vague and everyone can interpret in any way that suits them. That's why you see all kinds of numbers thrown at.

If someone is steadfast in staying 6 months - 1 year, why not stay for 2 years as, after all, that's what INS (now USCIS) had stipulated at one point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
I would appreciate if you would stop misrepresenting what I am saying. Thank you.

Where did I misrepresent? I was stating the same way as you are ... Only, you fail to point out one of the basic rights. I know, from reading your earlier posts, that you want to have a last say in everything and if you are really sincere in quoting from Murthy's, why not quote from the official USCIS site about the rights too?

It's nice to pick and choose the ones that you want to hear and nothing else, right?

Folks, instead of assuming the *intent* section of the law, just go to this site and read all about the rights - http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

If you are still not convinced, take an InfoPass appointment and talk to the officers or their supervisors and clarify your doubts. Also, you can talk to your company's attorneys and get their take as well. Because, this is one of the grey areas where there is no definite guideline and each person can/will interpret in a way that suits them.

If you are still paranoid or algophobic or whatever, this one is for you - If someone is steadfast in staying 6 months to 1 year, why not stay for 2 years as, after all, that's what INS (now USCIS) had stipulated at one point in time.

I rest my case.

JoeF said:
Looser's rantling .

Everybody,
refer some previous threads for this discussion. This manaic has taken heavy beating for spreading false information. But science has no cure for his P*nhead. If anybody sees him, just bang on his p*nhead, that might set things right.
Bottom line is there is no rule as such, its just some STUPIDITY out of p*nhead, lately I heard that when Doctor checks his p*nhead for fix, they found nothing there. So just ignore him :D :D :D

JoeF said:
Funny how people who lost their argument react...
In this case, by not addressing what I've been saying at all.
I guess I am right after all... Some people just don't get it...

Hmmm, now I see your point. I guess we are having some kind of hidden competition and you won by typing that piece of info from Murthy's site. Hats off!

I just failed to understand one simple thing, could you please point me to the official USCIS site where the LAW states that one has to be with an employer for 6 months? Please, please, please post it as I am dying to see it.

If you ask ten lawyers, they will never concur on the 6 months part as the *intent* section of the law is very vague. Mine sure didn't think that way and he was actually questioning me why I was having that kind of weird idea when USCIS does not even have any specific guidelines on this issue. Then, I have to tell him that some *smart* people, who-know-it-all-types, post these kinds of info on websites and then he says, "How much are you paying at that site to get that info?" I said, Nada! Then he says, "There you go... You get what you pay for".

JoeF said:
You are really not able to read!

The so-called 6-month rule is just a rule of thumb to show this intent.
Look up rule of thumb if you don't know what it means.

Well, looks like I can't read your drivel for sure.

Okay, where in the official USCIS website is this rule-of-thumb posted?

JoeF said:
Now get lost.
Welcome to my killfile. Join GCLookup and others there...

I didn't agree with you, so I have to go to your *killfile*. If you can't even have a meaningful conversation, I don't know how you posted tens and thousands of posts... Interesting.

JoeF said:
"Although AC21 allows the changing of employers if the I-485 is not adjudicated within 180 days, ...

A quick question on this, though not directly related to the topic under discussion. In the current situation with the concurrent filing of I-140 and I-485 applications does AC21 not become not redundant? I presume AC21 is predicated on a successful I-140 petition? So even after filing the combined application AC21 will not kick in after 180 days because the underlying petition is not adjudicated? Just a thought...

JoeF said:
Same rantling ...same LINK ...blah blah.....

Stop posting Murthy link again and again. We have seen that link in 1000 of ur posts.
Modeartor, open another thread and let p*nhead post this link there everyday 100 times , he is obessed with it and posts that sh*t on every thread. Give him his personalise thread for his sh*t.

JoeF said:
As I have said over and over, the law requires that you have the good faith intent to work for the sponsoring employer.....

more jumping around to catch his tale :D :D . And who is sponserer for AC-21 case???

Nobody wants to hear ur STUPID reply on this!!!! Take ur sh*t and shove it off in ur p*nhead.

Moderator ,post ur take on this issue? Are you with p*nhead or with everybody else on this one. Make it loud clear. Nobody wants DUMB moderator here anymore.

JoeF said:
You obviously don't understand the concept of a rule of thumb.
As I have said over and over, the law requires that you have the good faith intent to work for the sponsoring employer.
The rule of tumb is something made up to be able to show this intent. It is common sense. That's all, and that's all it has ever been.
Geez, how stupid can somebody be to not understand that? Do you have a college degree??? Where did you get that??? I would expect at least a little bit of intelligence from somebody with a college degree...

Hmmm, so we are talking about college degrees and intelligence and what not. We are getting a little personal/paranoid, are we? If I am an intelligent person, will I be replying to your responses? Go figure.

I wanted you to say that the rule-of-thumb value is very subjective and a made-up-number and that was my whole point! You can't post the link because it DOES NOT EXIST! Gosh, you can't even understand where I am going and you take it literally and start talking about college degrees and all other *nice* things that you can throw at me.

The rule-of-thumb value is a MADE-UP-NUMBER and that is very very subjective. 6 months might be the number for Murthy and sure, as hell, won't be for my lawyer or tens and thousands of other lawyers. Will it be?

JoeF said:
And finally, meaningful discussions are only possible if people like you wouldn't misrepresent what I am saying. You ended up in my killfile for your willful misrepresentation, for nothing else.

I failed to understand, with the miniscule intelligence, how you are seeing my posts if I am in your killfile? Maybe, it's a disguised killfile??

JoeF said:
Congratulations. You have now joined the other 99% of humanity who understand the concept of a rule of thumb without the need to explain the subjective nature of the concept of a rule of thumb (the other 1% are still trying to fight with me...)

Folks, we have a sibling of Einstein and that is none other than our favorite and good old pal, JoeF. Congrats.

JoeF said:
Of course it is subjective. That's what a rule of thumb is.
6 months is just that, a rule of thumb. Every situation is different. In some situations changing jobs in less than 6 months may be ok, in other situations not.

One more Monkey jump

What a rule "Job change is allowed after 6 months or before 6 months"
Its a RULE OF DUMB
idiot

why don't u just accept you are a pathetic LOOSER and GET LOST. :D :D

moderator, you have turned this forum into zoo for monkeys to jump around and mislead others

Please do NOT get into heated personal discussions and refrain from calling names. This is not the place to do that. If you have a disagreement on any issue, discuss it in a civilized way.

JoeF:

MRZ is correct.

Show me and others at least one USCIS page, where it says "rule of thumb" or 6 month or intent to stay... or whatever it is.

dont mis-lead all the members with one link from murthy.com

Proper notice

Hi:
I am new memeber, and I have a question regarding proper notice to your current employer.

My case was approved at the end of August, 2004 and my passport stamped the 1st week of September 2004. A potential offer with a new employer has open, in order to join them in June 2005. My relation with my current employer is cordial, and I would like to keep it like that, therefore I was planning to give them 6 months notice of my intent to depart so they can look for a replacement.

My question is in regards to the so called "6 months rule of thumb". Would it be a problem with this rule of thumb, the fact that I would like to notify them in January that I might leave, in June (the idea is not to leave hanging in the air, and give them a chance to find a replacement). Thanks in advance for the feedback.