Question on Job Change during waiver time

namasteall2000

Registered Users (C)
Hi - my husband started his waiver job in Oct 2007 with a group. And now he is having some problem with his job and wants to change?

I just wanted to know is it possible?
if yes then again we have to start process from very beginning? DOS and USCIS? He is currently working on H1B and his gree card application is already filed.

thanks and any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Ah - there you are - I was trying to find out what happened to you last year with your husband's lost USCIS receipt...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "waiver job". Once you get a waiver, that's it. Changing a job will in no way re-instate the Home Residency Requirement once it has already been waived.

What you need to be concerned with is porting the H1B visa to a new employer. Furthermore, if his current employer sponsored the green card, then he may be ineligible to leave without jeopardizing his application. So although you have other things to consider, rest assured that once you have a final USCIS J-1 waiver, you will no longer be subject to HRR (unless of course you get on a new J-1 program).

Ah - there you are - I was trying to find out what happened to you last year with your husband's lost USCIS receipt...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "waiver job". Once you get a waiver, that's it. Changing a job will in no way re-instate the Home Residency Requirement once it has already been waived.

What you need to be concerned with is porting the H1B visa to a new employer. Furthermore, if his current employer sponsored the green card, then he may be ineligible to leave without jeopardizing his application. So although you have other things to consider, rest assured that once you have a final USCIS J-1 waiver, you will no longer be subject to HRR (unless of course you get on a new J-1 program).

Just to fix this, It is very very very difficult to get another J if you have waiver from previous one.

thanks for remembering me jk0274. My husband finished his residency on 2006 and started working on H1B in Oct 2006 itself. And as a commitment towards J1 restriction he has to work in an Medically underserved area. That's what he is doing now. And his current employer has filed his green card application (though we don't have any hopes of getting it soon because cureent date is still of 2003). I am his dependent and hope to get EAD.

Anyways - back to my question - in case if he changes his job in the middle of his waiver job (MUSA) and join anywhere else - what would be the hassels and how much pain it would be. I know his green card application would be messed up and his new employer has to start wverything again.

thanks again for your prompt reply?

And about my husband's lost USCIS receipt - we had to request state gov to send paper again - don't remind me those days - We were very streessed....

Oh I see - your husband is a medical doctor... I'm afraid that my earlier post will not apply in this case. For more information, please read this page (especially towards the bottom) and then come back if you have any questions.