Question on I-94

letsgetit

Registered Users (C)
I know this has been discussed before but I just want to reiterate. Recently a friend of mine had to leave the country to get a new I-94 card on H1B as his I-94 had expired. He has a valid H1B but the problem was that when he last entered he was given an I-94 valid till the validity of his passport(which was expiring very soon - much before his expiration of H1B). To his surprise when he called BCIS he was told to leave the country soon and get a Visa stamp from home country and re-enter. Which he did with no hassles.
My question is for us in I-485 stage we should not care about our I-94 expiration? Right! Last year I used Advance Parole and was given an I-94 which says paroled in and valid for one year. I am currently working on my second EAD.

Correct.

If you are working based on your EAD then you need a valid AP in order to travel in and out of the country.

The expiration date on your I-94 does not really count - only in relation to your current AP.

Furthermore. Whenever you travel out of the country and re-enter you have to fill in a new I-94 Card. Which is from my personal experience.

I have always travelled using my AP and I have never bothered with checking the dates on my I-94.
Whenever I re-enter at US customs - the officer removes my old card and staples a new one.