Question on filling N-400

dsam

Registered Users (C)
I became a LPR in early Jan 1999 and will complete 5 years in Jan 2004. I am planning to apply for citizenship this month using the 90 day window.

As I am filling out the form I have a question. My PR card has just an initial for the middle name (like Doe, John K ). I have a middle name on my passport and birth certificate from my home country but I stopped using it long time ago. During my Green card processing, I probably used the full middle name as asked for in some forms and just the initial in other forms as asked. Anyway my PR card has just the initial.

Now coming to N-400 page 1, part 1

Section B. (“name exactly as it is on PR card”) - Do I fill in the full middle name (if applicable) box with just the initial (as on my PR card) or my full middle name or just leave it blank.

What do I fill in the full middle name (if applicable ) box in Section A – “your current legal name”

This is probably a minor thing but I do not want this to delay the processing.

Thanks

This is what I did.

I entered my middle name as it appears in the passport for 1A
I entered my middle initial (as it appears on the GC) for 1B.

My original GC (green) had my full middle name on it.
My renewed GC (pink) has the middle initial only.

I had same names in both GC and passport. But, putting legal name same as GC may be better, because, during interview, I was asked for GC not passport. I hope this helps.

I like the 'Jitender' idea - I am not an attorney.

Please exercise a lot of caution while dealing with name on GC. It's best to speak with the INS or an attorney. Name problems can cause a lot of delays wrt N400

N400

Names are the trickiest part of the form. Please check with an attorney, since someone I know had a lot of problems becasue of the name mismatch.

On a separate note, can please help me with what you filled in for the fields that did not apply to you. For example: 8F. Prior Spouse's Family Name. If there is no prior spouse, do I fill in 'None', 'Not Applicable', or leave it blank.

Appreciate your help in this.

I went through a non-profit immigration organization to do my N-400 (they supposedly do tons of N-400s every year) and they listed N/A for anything that wasn't applicable.

Re: N400

Originally posted by freshdaisy
If there is no prior spouse, do I fill in 'None', 'Not Applicable', or leave it blank.

Appreciate your help in this.

For anything that is not applicable I used "N/A". On the other hand if "NONE" is more appropriate to use, then use "NONE" (e.g. question on any prior names used etc.).:)