Question on EAD/AP extension

XYZZ

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
Both me and my spouse EAD will expire on this August,2002 and AP will expire on July, 2002. These days I received my lawyer\'s letter and suggest us to extend EAD/AP 4 months before expiration date. However, she charges $1,000 for extending these two documents. Unfortunately we don\'t have that budget right now and would like to save money. We plan only extend EAD since we won\'t travel in this summer and our I485 is expecting to be approved around this year October. So I wonder can I file the extension by myself? And what form do I need? Anyone did that before? Does it have any impact on my I485 processing if we apply by ourselves? I also not sure if this will make our lawyer feel mad. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
XYZZY

You should do it on your own

Since you are on tight budget, you are better off filing your own EAD extension. As you yourself know it is a pretty simple process, and it is not going to affect your 485. Download a form I 765 from the INS web site, complete the application and send to your INS service center with a fee of $120. There are some things you do on your own and some you need a lawyer\'s expertise. Your lawyer would understand and I think you are needlessly worried. I do have a question for you, something which can relieve me of a concern that I have regarding my own AP. I received what I think is the original copy. It has my passport picture glued to it, with the INS seal, and the director\'s signature. Does your ORIGINAL copy of the AP include a statement that say " presentation of the original of this document prior to ________will authorize an immigration officer at a port of entry....?????

Thanks

Yes, I remember I have seen this sentence on my original AP. Thanks for your reply.