Question on Divorce Papers

atlraj

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
Need your help as I will be eligible to file for citzenship in a month under 5 year continuous residency.

>>My ex-wife and I got married in India almost 22 years ago in a temple.
We got our green cards individually on our own. We never had any marriage licese in India or USA. We moved to USA on our own individaul Visa's and finally got green card's individually.

>>When things changed between us she went to india for couple of years with Kids and applied for divorce there without any marriage certification. But as you know how things are in India, if you pay money you will get any thing instantaneously. She got the divorce decree with my faxed signature on a mutually agreed conditions statement and my parents paid several Lakh rupees to her parents as support for children at that time because they were under 18 years of age. Every thing is settled financially including all the family issues. My kids are now over 18 years and they are in school here in USA.Now she and I got the divorce decree certificate in our hand.

now the question is

>> Is the divorce decree that I got from India (from a Municipal court in India) is a valid document for citizenship process? This document is written in English only.

please let me know on this if I need to get any other doucmentation in USA?

thanks.
Raj

Last edited by a moderator:
Child support

ATLRAJ, please have your kids' birth certificates handy to prove that they are above 18 years old, so that you don't have to prove you need to pay the child support. Take all the divorce related settlement and financial payments to prove that you had paid all the child support at that time.

Thanks CTN400

CTN400..
thanks for that info. Actually I was thinking on the same path.
I transferred money from my bank account to my Ex's account every month on expenses of my kids. Actually I still support my Kids as of today on their financial needs relating to school and stuf...
May be I am going to take all my bank transferes to her account from last two years with me.

again thanks for your input.

Thanks
Raj