Question on Citizenship interview

Dada Babu

Registered Users (C)
Anybody has any idea whether INS pull-up the old files (I-485) when you apply for your citizenship or the whole citizenship process is completely separate from your I-485 file, which was used to issue your green card??
:confused:

They have all your files used for the GC and yes, they do refer to it. As a matter of fact, they did not have my I-140 and asked me to provide a copy of that during my citizenship interview -- which delayed the Oath-ceremony by about a month or so.

I would suggest that one should take all their papers used for the GC processing for their C'ship interview in case they ask for anything.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Originally posted by Dada Babu
Anybody has any idea whether INS pull-up the old files (I-485) when you apply for your citizenship or the whole citizenship process is completely separate from your I-485 file, which was used to issue your green card??
:confused:

03 Pilot

Did the INS went on to details on that file or looked at briefly. Also what questions did they asked you? also did they compared between the two forms in terms of the information provided 5 years ago with the one now?:confused:

03 Pilot

Did the INS went on to details on that file or looked at briefly. Also what questions did they asked you? also did they compared between the two forms in terms of the information provided 5 years ago with the one now?:confused:

When the officer was going over the N-400 application, he wanted to make sure that the emplyment history in the past 5 years matched with the Immigrant petition. To verify this he needed the I-140 which they did not have (and they should have had that). At which point I said, I can get a copy for him if he wanted and he asked me to provide a copy.

Questions: Not too many. Just the standard.. civics questions, all my travels in the past 5 years etc. etc.

I don't understand the question about two forms ???

03pilot

Two forms means I-485 and N-400. Did he compared these two forms at all??:confused:

I don't think so. But I am not sure what was he looking at in the file that he had.

What does looking at 5 year emplymnt histroy mean?

Hi Pilot,
What do you mean when they say "he wanted to make sure that the emplyment history in the past 5 years matched with the Immigrant petition" ?

I am about to get my GC any time now through employment. But as my employer's situation is looking shakier and shakier there may come a time in the next 6 months to a year or so when I may move on (or may be forced to).

My question is do they bust your balls about post-Greencard employment changes? Also let's say I did software engineering (my sponsoring I-140 job field) for another 1 year. And then let's say I decided to open a grocery store or something.

After 5 years when they see that I did 1 more year of SoftwareEngineering and then had a grocery store for 4 years ... does this mess up my Citizenship application?

Dada Babu and others, also please feel free to comment as well.

Your help is much appreaciated.

you should have "intention" to work for sponsor company "forever" when you get GC. However, everyone knows it is not ture. So if "unforseen" happens (such as layoff), it is not your problem. However if you leave on your own within 6 months, you shows that you do not have "intention" in the first place. So I suggest that you stay with sponsor company for 6 months unless laied off.

Dada Babu's question has a point. You really could not make sure you are 100% consistant on I485 and N400 since you might not remember every details or things change. I do not think INS will read I485 at all. They just read final approval note. Checking I-140 is because it is missing in file. Also the officer who talked with you is not the one who checked your file, I think. Anyway, this is my opinion based on common sense. However, you never know how INS works unless you are part of it.

Re: What does looking at 5 year emplymnt histroy mean?

In my case, he saw that I had mentioned that I was working for a particular firm when I got my GC (5 years ago). So he went back to his file to see if he could get the I-140 for the company I said I worked for when I got my GC. This I-140 was missing from his file which I had to submit a copy of it via mail. It turned out that this was just a formality and things proceeded without any problems then on.

Originally posted by wherezgc
Hi Pilot,
What do you mean when they say "he wanted to make sure that the emplyment history in the past 5 years matched with the Immigrant petition" ?

I am about to get my GC any time now through employment. But as my employer's situation is looking shakier and shakier there may come a time in the next 6 months to a year or so when I may move on (or may be forced to).

My question is do they bust your balls about post-Greencard employment changes? Also let's say I did software engineering (my sponsoring I-140 job field) for another 1 year. And then let's say I decided to open a grocery store or something.

After 5 years when they see that I did 1 more year of SoftwareEngineering and then had a grocery store for 4 years ... does this mess up my Citizenship application?

Dada Babu and others, also please feel free to comment as well.

Your help is much appreaciated.

03Pilot, did the employment questionnaire you filled out only go back for 5 years? Did it dwelve into sponsoring employer or how long one stays with them specifically?

If not, in theory if one filed for citizenship 6 years after GreenCard start-date, the issue of sponsoring employer and how long one stayed with them is of no concern.

Not that I am planning to change employment in the foreseeable future, however my company already had multiple layoffs and my fear is that I end up on the lay-off list one of these days.

I understand what you are saying but I think the question was asked in reference to when did one get the GC and who were you working for at that time. At that point he wanted to see the I-140 for that employer.

But your question about applying after 6 years is a valid one. The form specifically asks for employment history for the past 5 years. In my case since I had applied after 5 years from GC, the past 5 years employment history did include the sponsoring employer.

But I think the interviewer would be looking to get details about the past 5 years and when you received your GC etc.

Originally posted by wherezgc
03Pilot, did the employment questionnaire you filled out only go back for 5 years? Did it dwelve into sponsoring employer or how long one stays with them specifically?

If not, in theory if one filed for citizenship 6 years after GreenCard start-date, the issue of sponsoring employer and how long one stayed with them is of no concern.

Not that I am planning to change employment in the foreseeable future, however my company already had multiple layoffs and my fear is that I end up on the lay-off list one of these days.

Absolutely JoeF. I am not saying that they cannot ask for anything more than the 5 years but I was just responding to the question about "on the form, it asks you about the employment history for the last 5 years". Typically I would think they would be interested in your employment history around the time you received your GC in addition to the ones mentioned on the application.

Originally posted by JoeF

They are not obligated to check more than 5 years back, but they have every right to go further back.

Another question to 03pilot

Hi 03pilot:

On N-400 form, if you have traffic violations ticket, do you have to say yes to the answers of questions 15-18?? Could you please give some thought on this issue??:mad: