Question on Affiliations

Vishnu2003

Registered Users (C)
There is a question on affliations in N-400 application

Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organization, association, fund foundation, party, club, society or similar group in the United States or in any other place?

If one is part of toastmaster club, is that supposed to be mentioned in this category? Any thougts?

Thanks

I put down everything (professional organizations, student organization (from decades ago), PTAs). It shows "attachment" to your community - to me a good thing.

I think the point, however, is to see if you put down "Communist Party" or "Klu Klux Klan".

Sure, put "Toastmasters". Why not

I agree. Put down anything you are a member of: academic, professional, volunteer, hobbies/interest/sports groups, your kids education/activity groups.

This does two things: shows that you are interested in becoming involved in US society and also identifies any problem areas (very unlikley). I ran out of space so had to edit the list down.

Remember, as always, USCIS probably knows more than you think they know !!!

agree with rwsh and flydog...i put pretty much anything i could have remembered. this did not come up as a topic during the interview but i am sure they reviewed it.

I was in a big confusion whether or not to declare anything in this section, Thanks all for you opinion. I will declare my toastmaster membership.

Here is what it says for Part 10

Please answer Questions 1 through 14. If you answer ''Yes'' to any of these questions, include a written explanation with this form. Your written explanation should (1) explain why your answer was ''Yes'' and (2) provide any additional information that helps to explain your answer.

If the answer is "Yes" for Part 10 - 8(a), then a small description of reason to join a club in N-400 form would sufffice - Correct?

Vishnu2003 said:
Here is what it says for Part 10

Please answer Questions 1 through 14. If you answer ''Yes'' to any of these questions, include a written explanation with this form. Your written explanation should (1) explain why your answer was ''Yes'' and (2) provide any additional information that helps to explain your answer.

If the answer is "Yes" for Part 10 - 8(a), then a small description of reason to join a club in N-400 form would sufffice - Correct?

I believe that for question 8 it suffices to list the organizations/clubs/associations that you have been a member of. I don't think that you have to list reasons for joining them unless specifically asked for at the interview. I did not list such reasons and I have not heard of other people listing them...

I did not list any reasons myself either....however, it was really obvious - for example International Student Association or Finance Club at the university or a sports team. Also, they did not ask me any questions during the interview about these either.

If you list Al Queda or the communist party or the Ku Klux Klan, then you might want to have a little "why I joined" story ready for the interview. Otherwise, it's not really a big thing.

The important thing is that they want you to list "everything". That way, if you omit something important (like the ones I joked about above), then they can declare that your naturalization was invalid since you lied.

Corrections to this section possible at interview ?

I did not mention two of my voluntary services (associations) that I'm involved with in my original application. One is associated with my office association and another one to help rural Indian schools.

Is it too late to correct it at the time of interview ?. Will it cause the denial of my citizenship ?. Or do they consider correcting it in the application. My interview is scheduled for tomorrow at Boston :-(.

Appreciate your kind response and help.

Thanks,
Pals
-------
Boston:
Priority date 9/28/06
Finger print notice received on 10/6/06
Finger printing on 10/17/06
Interview notice received on 12/20/2006
Interview date 1/23/07

:confused: :confused:

Feel free to mention it. The IO will likely walk/talk through your application page by page. When he gets to the appropriate place say something "I forgot to list two volunteer organizations I belong to". In all likelihood, the IO will say something along the lines of "no problem".

Of course, my experience in this regard is *extremely* limited (my interview and my wife telling me about hers).

Interview went well - Boston

Finally much relieved, after done with the interview this afternoon.

Interview time (given) was 2.00 PM. It was already 2.20 and anxiously waiting for my name to be called. Then came that moment. Followed the officer and sat in a small room. Immediately, the officer asked me to swear the truth etc etc. Said yes, yes.

Then he quickly went through my application. Very quickly. Before even I realized he was in the 3rd question. Any ways, I think, I was constantly saying, no, no no.... When the affiliations part came, I interrupted him and said that I have to update that. I had taken an updated sheet. He used it. No problems. That was the area, I was little worried. That went through well.

Then the civic questions. Asked about the flag colors, no. of stripes, what do we celebrate on July 4th, what is white house, where is it etc..? Done with that.

He asked me to read a simple sentence and asked me to write, " I
want to eat good food". Done with that too.

Then was asked to sign the N-400 form, part 13 & 14, both full signatures. Then asked me to sign (full) on the 2 photos. Then he handed over the N-652 form which gave the interview results :) and asked me to wait for couple of minutes. After 10 minutes, got the Oath date (Feb 15th). Bingo!. The interview was less than 7 minutes. The officer was pretty fast and courteous. Thank God and this nice forum and helpful people. Good luck to rest of the people in the pipeline.

Thanks,
Pals_USA

Boston:
Priority date 9/28/06
Finger print notice received on 10/6/06
Finger printing on 10/17/06
Interview notice received on 12/20/2006
Interview date 1/23/07
Oath date: Feb 15 at 12PM.