Question: IF 485 approved while out of country ...

kr111

Registered Users (C)
Are there any implications if 485 approves while one is out of country?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Your lawyer is correct

The person would need to be paroled in for adjustment. Parole from overseas has recently become much more difficult. I don\'t think it would present a problem, but it would take some time.

Jim Mills
(Formerly Jim M)
Attorney at Law
732-644-5702

Jim - Please Clarify

Jim,
Could you please explain what u mean by "Parole from overseas" in detail and how long would it take. I plan to travel out of USA for 2 weeks and it is possible that my I-485 application gets approved while I am gone. My lawyer says that she will FEDX me the approval and I can enter with the approval copy of I-485. I have a valid AP and EAD , which I will be carrying with me. Please let me know what else is needed and what is the process acc to your understanding.
Thanks for you help.

Getting a copy of your approval on FEDEX should be ok

With the approval copy, it should be ok. You may spend few hours at the port of entry with INS inspector, but should not have any problems.

ramasamy munusamy

Could you please let me know if you have been in a similar situation? Do they stamp the Green card stamp at the POE ?

Thanks.

Mine was approved while I was on a Business trip to Europe..NO PROBLEMS

I had returned from a business trip to Europe and my I-485 got approved while I was there. My PP has been stamped. No problems so far. There was a gap of only a few days.
I had specifically asked my lawyers about this and they indicated I would be fine as long as I did my PP very soon after the approval.

I would recommend do not stay too long out of the country after the approval.

jc

jumper cable

Jumper cable

I guess the question being asked is that at the port of entry
do they raise any question if the following occur

a) You do not have advance parole and have only H1 and get approved and are out of the country

b) You do not have advance paraole and have H1 and have a copy of approval notice recd by fedex from attorney

c) You have advance parole and do not have the approval notice

d) You have advance parole and have approval notice sent by fedex by attorney

what is your opinion on the above 4 cases

This is an interesting discussion

RSRGC

I guess the question being asked is that at the port of entry
do they raise any question if the following occur

a) You do not have advance parole and have only H1 and get approved and are out of the country
--This was my case. Entered the country as one normally would.

b) You do not have advance paraole and have H1 and have a copy of approval notice recd by fedex from attorney
--This may lead to complications. May have to do CP...

c) You have advance parole and do not have the approval notice
--Enter the country as you normally would

d) You have advance parole and have approval notice sent by fedex by attorney
--Same as if you have H1.

IMPORTANT:I am not a lawyer. These are just my opinions based on my experience and the research I did during my pre GC days.

BOTTOM LINE: AP and multiple entry H1 are given so that you can travel. INS indicates that AOS case takes around 995 days or something like that. When a person was out of the country and his/her I-485 was approved in say 100 days. How was he to know this was going to happen when the INS said it would take around 995 days.
I think if your approval comes in when you are abroad, return asap and get the PP stamping done.

JC

no clear guidelines in the current situation?

the demo is dated dec 20, 2000. and even in that memo, there is no specific mention of the scenario we are considering. the POE officer "should" give a differed inspection ...

since 9/11, i think differed inspection cannot be taken for granted.

man, this is crazy ... but then what isnt ... (sigh) ...

if the lawyer said both H1 and AP are invalidated on GC approval, did he/she answer the question of what one need to do to enter in this case?? i am trying to get hold of my lawyer but havent been successful yet!

thanks for any input!

My gc is approved on 01/15/02, during that time i am out of usa.

I went to india on 11/01/02. I am back in usa on 29/01/02. But my gc is approved on 01/15/02. At port of entry i do not have any problem, I do not even know about my gc approval. They let me in. There should not be any problem with this issue to get into usa using your valid AP. Now I am planning for PP stamping during next week, update you next week.

Thnx
Rama

I did not have any issue

Our I-485s were approved on Jan 9, 2002. We were vacationing in India at that time. We entered the USA on Jan 13th using our APs.

AnanthSayan please respond

Did u have to go to the US consulate in India to get a "Transportation Letter". Were the approvals FedExed to u in India and if yes did u show them at POE. If no, did u inform the officer that yor approval had come wile you were away??
Please provide details.
Thanks

I did not have any issue

Nothing of that sort happened. I did not even know that the I-485s were approved until after I reached home (in the US).

This recently changed!!!!

Tell your attorney to review Michael A. Pearson\'s Memo of November 28, 2001 and section 211 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The memo discusses Parole from overseas in detail. It is relatively short (3 pages). Basically, the memo states that border officials and consular officers no longer have the authority to make parole decisions and need the approval of District Directors. I\'m not sure how long this will take but I\'d avoid travel and thereby avoid the potential problems if possible.

Jim

James D. Mills
(formerly Jim M)
Attorney at Law
732-644-5702

No Title

Jim Mills, I don\'t mean to challenge your authority on this issue but just for my own satisfaction, I went to the INS website section on "INS Policy and Procedural Memoranda". I did not find any memo dated Nov. 28, 2001 by Michael Pearson. There were a few others but none that detailed parole decisions for Adv. Parole users. Just parole decisions that are made abroad were now to be directed to HQIAO. Could you please provide a link to this memo if its avaliable on the website? If not, could you paste an excerpt from this memo for us to read?

Thanks

pentela/rama, Jumper Cable, AnanthSayan - Did the POE officer even ...

pentela/rama, Jumper Cable, AnanthSayan - Did the POE officer even mention that fact that ur GC has been approved and/or give u any "waiver"?? u know, do anything different other than just accepting ur AP and stamping it? also what is the procedure for using AP? do u give a copy at the POE or the original? do u have to give it to the airlines? anything special while leaving India?

so glad to see u all make it back without problems. very reassuring.

appreciate ur help!
Thanks!