Question: H4 to H1, no job

krish123

My wife came to US on H4(valid up to 2003). After that she got H1 visa from company A (6 months back) and took a social security number.She hasn\'t get a job till now. Now i applied for I140 . Iam planning to go to india for consular processing.Can my wife use H4 Visa when we go to consular processing.What status is she on now.Please help me on this.

No Title

I saw a post of someone saying his lawyer said your wife is still H4 since H4 is valid. You may want to ask your lawyer.

No Title

your best bet would be to covert her back to h4... usually no questions asked during conversion and no questions asked at all during CP also...

as a matter of fact they just asked for my h1 extension and did not even ask for my wife\'s h1 to h4 conversion.

H4 to H1

My wife was in a similar situation. Had H4 visa approval, got H1 approval from Company A. was laid off after 2 months of H1 approval. She travelled out of U.S., got an H4 visa (since visa on her passport had expired) using my H1B visa and re-entered US. We did this after consulting my immigration attorney.
If your wife has a valid H4 visa on her passport, she can travel out of U.S. and re-enter using the H4 visa. She will get a new I-94 card and that will reflect her present status in the U.S.
This is what we did. It is best to consult your lawyer before you take any action.

H4 - Got EAD card.

I got mine and wife EAD card. She has a social security card which states that "NOT calid for work" as she was on H-4 (In illinois you can get a social security card). Now if she wants to work, does she have to change her social card to state that she can work or is EAD good enough.