Question from nooby regarding I-485 processing times

lone_wolf

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here, so please if you would, place a legend on the bottom of your message(s) if you are going to use trems like ND, RD, AD, LUD, etc. cause i am not quite versed in them as of yet, :)
My status is as follows:

My parents applied for political asylum here and won the case last summer, June of 2005 and i and my sister just filed an extension for asylum - Derivative asylum application, which should be just a formality. CIS received applications on Dec 1 2005. USCIS website status page says typical processing times are ¨180-270 days¨, but ¨ the maximum processing time should be less than indicated since most of processing was done during applying for Asylum¨.
And from my understanding after I receive my asylee status that really doesn´t make me LPR, only gives me right to apply for EAD and maybe travel doc. And I have to wait 1 year after Asylum to apply for I-485, :(, and then some after applying to get a stamp in the passport and later a little plastic card, ;( ...
Unfortunately for me, 1 year from now I pretty much have to transfer to a public university, and I plan to join the military. University i want to apply to stipulates:
you must be either: a) Green card holder, b) be a refugee (nothing about asylees and no response from registrar´s office yet to my email) c) certain non-immigrant visa type holder (nothing like I have).
So, does anyone know if refugee IS or IS NOT acceptable for in-state tuition classification? And if not, is the stamp in passport sufficient, or they most likely want real card?

And now to the meat of the matter. Did I understand correcty that it takes on average 4 months from the receiving of I-485 to approval, which is immediately followed by an interview where you get a stamp? Can I hope that if I apply GC next june-august (2007), i will be called for an interview between september and December? And if things go slow, does writing conngressmen/women and maybe White Houyse directly help, if I explain why I urgently need a green card? And also, can I write BEFORE apllying for a green card, to waive 1 year waiting period, or to ask them to schedule my interview right after I file for I-485?
FYI - i file to Nebrska SC, and my local NSC is Detroit, MI (but i read somewhere that they don transfer I-485´s here anymore, only Chicago Lockbox).

Hope I was concise and informative enough, but if not, let me know and I´ll answer your questions as detailed as possible. I really hope that things will shift by the next summer, otherwise I wil have to miss a semester or two of school... Any advice is helpful and REALLY appreceited.

for I485 asylum cases, currently they are processing the cases submited around Feb 01 2001.

"180-270 days" is pure crap. the processing time is 4-6 years

I-485 wait time

Ok, more specificly,
1) For asylum-based I485 applicants reading this forum (or maybe any other i485´s), what is the expected wait for biometrics appointments? And when do you usually get approved for stamp in the passport if not then? Is the waiting time less nowadays than it used to be? And what is the typical wait between mailing an application/notice of receiving and first appointment and/or aproval date?

2) And if my I790 (derivative asylee petition) was filed in july of 2005, but i got RFE (incomplete application), around September-November, and I got notice of reception from NSC on Dec 1 05 - and typical approval time is 180-270 days, when should I be expecting a letter of asylum? Around now or in June-August?

my RD is 04-2001
biometrics code 3 was sent in may-2005, but i didnt get the letter but my ar11 was ignored.
they re-sent the code 3 letter in march-2006 , one month after i called them to change my address.

cant answer the rest of your question, but you need to wait for at least 4 years

I-485 processing times at NSC

hi, this webpage, that seems to be updated periodically and is very recent,

Service Processing Dates

says that NSC is processing asylum-based I-485 cases from February of 2001, and it seems that all the other types of I-485 are WAY ahead (2005 cases currentlyprocessed). At the same time I heard CIS ieliminated 10,000 cap on asylum GCs per year, and plans to eliminate backlog (6 months processing time, i think was the promise). Is there some hope for poor suckers like me who´ll apply in mid-2007, that I can get my Gc (or at least be approved and stamped) by the end of 2007 ??

And another frank question, if I were to marry (fictitiously), today and apply for whatever the form is, will t be any faster to get a GC? Anybody has some experience in this matter?