Question for US citzens from India

Volvo7

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have a question for US citizens from India. I recently became a US citizen and called up the Indian Embassy in Washington DC to find out the procedure to return my Indian passport and get it back after cancellation. The lady who answered told me that under no circumstances should I return the Indian passport, because if I do, I will never get it back. Instead, when I apply for my Indian visa or PIO card or OCI, I should give my Indian passport at that time personally and have it cancelled.

I am not sure what to do. The Indian Embassy website and the notice stamped on my Indian passport are quite clear that I should surrender my Indian passport as soon as I acquire the nationality of another country. To do otherwise is a violation of the Passports Act. The lady at the embassy says I can wait till I apply for a visa.

Does anyone have any information on this? If yes, please share it with me. Thanks.

I think the lady is correct. Next time you apply for an Indian visa, they will cancel your passport.