Question for those of you who already have EAD

TNguy78

Registered Users (C)
What is the issue date on your EAD's? Was it the date it was actually printed, or does the date match the date your EAD was approved. Or in other words, does the date on the EAD match the "Ordered Production of card" status online?

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was not able to send in my application earlier this winter and it did not go in until early May. The issue I have is that my current work visa expires in 10 days and I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't get my EAD on time and that I'd have to take a short "leave of absence" until I got the EAD.

But - luckily for me, I got the update yesterday that the EAD card was ordered for production, but it can take up to 30 days for me to get it. So, my question is if it doesn't arrive for another 20-30 days, what will the effective date be on the card? If the date matches the "Ordered production of card" status change, then I'm good there will be no break in my authorization, but if it matches the actual date it was printed, then I'm still not out of the woods yet.

Thanks

Any document validity matches the date that it is ordered for production. The wait for delivery has no bearing. Your card will be valid as of the date they put "order for production" You are good to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any document validity matches the date that it is ordered for production.
That is not always true. Immigration cards can be future-dated or backdated. My third EAD was approved with a future effective date, to correspond with the end date of my second EAD (but they didn't future-date my second EAD, resulting in me losing a couple months of validity).

Some people's green cards have an effective date weeks before card production was ordered. They get the welcome notice, then weeks later they get the card production email and the card itself. The card was dated before the card production email.

However, for a first-time EAD, it is fairly certain that its effective date will match the date of the card production email, or be off by one day.

Thanks for the information - I think I'm okay. Hopefully I will get them in the mail next week.

TNGuy78,

A Part from the e-mail notification, do you see the information "card produced" on your online case search results ?

TNGuy78,

A Part from the e-mail notification, do you see the information "card produced" on your online case search results ?

This is what it says:

On July 11, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

So I'm hoping that it really does mean that it will be produced with the July 11th date.