Question for experts: consequences of layoff after CP?

saheb

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC recently about a month back through CP. My company is going to be bought by other company and our division is going to be closed. If I loose my job, what are the possible consequences? Would I have a problem when I file for citizenship? Does the Ac-21 rule protect me?

Its good and bad.....

Good because you have no probs with your GC as it has already been stamped. And you had the intent to work for the employer. If the employer terminates the employment, you have nothing to be worried about. You can work for anybody else in whatever field you want.

Bad obviously because you may be loosing your job and have to find another. If you haven\'t got your plasticcard as yet, you may want to make arrangements such that you can recieve it at the address given or give a change of address.

You are Ok

As far as your GC status is concerned THANKFULLY YOU ARE OK.
You entered US with the "intent" to work for the employer who pettitioned your GC. That is all that counts. It will not affect your Citizenship in the future.

Employers can terminate you if they can prove they have an "unforseen" business reason to terminate your "permanent employment".

Now you can work in any field you want. Except for the stress you might have in finding a new job you should not stress atall!

u r ok....but get a letter from the company

Hope you will find another position within the company...but if you do not, try getting a letter from the company stating the reason for termination of employment. Hopefully there won\'t be any trouble...but the onus is on the employee to prove that his employment termination was from the employer side (thats my understanding)