Question for experts and those waiting namecheck

outletvolt1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

It seems that I-485 is getting approved quickly these days. People who
have their 485 pending due to namecheck process for many many months,
can they just revoke the 485 application and file a fresh application that
will hopefully be proecssed faster ? Is this an option ?

What is the guarantee your name will not stuck in name check again. That will be a bummer.

For some reason, I don't seem to remember any major issue with name check when I was in process in 2003-2004. They just used to check your name against a secret database. If there was a "hit"... long process due to manual checks. Are they doing something different now?
Do you think your name is oddly similar to most common names in certain countries on the watch list. Trying to figure out whether it is some kind of system failure behind these delays or are they really doing some background checks (perhaps sending your details to US consulate in your home country to further verification). My general experience with INS tells me that it is some kind of system failure. It is possible that FBI has sent the name back to INS but INS failed to record it in their systems. It was very common with finger print checks before.

Would it make sense to write to INS citing possibilities of system lapse/lost data and request them to conduct "name check" again. I guess, there will be no harm doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may work if you change your name for second I485 application. But if your name is still the same, the name check will take the same time. :)

dima66a said:
It may work if you change your name for second I485 application. But if your name is still the same, the name check will take the same time. :)

Would you leave "used name" blank for 2nd application? I do believe they will get more excited to run your used name than your current name.

This idea is just counterproductive. need to find better way to game the system.

How come there is no Name check for consular processing?

you can't go consular, you have to specify while applying I-140 only but check with your lawyer.

Thanks,
rb180

Once you applied 485, A# is assigned for you. Even if you cancel and reapply they will refer your old A# and wait for the name check to clear.