Question about voting

aosing

Registered Users (C)
Here's an odd question that I haven't seen here. My spouse just got her GC, and I have looked over the naturalization forms and seen that they ask if you have registered to vote or voted in any election (federal/state/local).

There are a few government elections that PRs can vote in depending on state or local law, e.g. some school board elections (non-citizen parents), some local/municipal elections. It seems you would still have to check the box Yes and explain this; and I have to think that this would harm the application process, which is a shame, since the on of the major points of the residency requirement for naturalization is to learn about and participate in civics and the community as much as possible.

Anyone have any actual experience with voting as a PR and subsequently naturalizing? It seems to me that it is not worth the risk, even where it is clearly permissible.

There's this thing called Google...

http://tinyurl.com/lpr-voting

Voting
One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting. As a Permanent Resident you can only vote in local and state elections that do not require you to be a US citizen. It is very important that you do not vote in national, state or local elections that require a voter to be a US citizen when you are not a US citizen. There are criminal penalties for voting when you are not a US citizen and it is a requirement for voting. You can be removed (deported) from the US if you vote in elections limited to US citizens.

USCIS recognizes that permanent residents are legally allowed to vote in some local elections. You will not be deported or have your naturalization denied if you voted in such an election, but you will bear the burden of explaining the situation and your naturalization may be delayed while they verify your claim that it was legal for PRs to vote in that specific place and time. If a permanent resident is going to vote in such an election, they should make sure to have supporting documentation such as the actual text of regulations or registration forms in that jurisdiction that explicitly say that permanent residents or noncitizens can vote -- don't listen to election officials who may sometimes be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: