Question about Travel and Re-entry on Advance Parole

jkpenrod

Registered Users (C)
Here is the situation. My wife is currently in the U.S. on an E-2 visa which is good until August 31. We applied for AOS last month and filed for Advance Parole at the same time as we need to travel back to England for a wedding celebration with her family. The Wedding Celebration is scheduled for August 19 and our plans were to leave the US on August 13 and Return to the US on Sept 4. My understanding is that Advance parole basically means my wife can leave the country without abandoning the Green Card Process, but it does not guarantee her re-entry to the U.S. My question do we need to make certain to return to the U.S. before her E-2 visa expires or is there something else we can do to make certain she has no trouble getting back into the U.S. upon our return?

I would like to make an infoPass appointment, but as they are only 15 minutes I want to make certain that I know what information we need before we go in. Any advice is appreciated.

While Advance Parole is not a guarantee of being allowed to reenter the US, for an AOS applicant who has followed the rules* it's almost as reliable for entry as a green card. It's not something to worry about. In addition, there is a decent chance of her green card being approved before August.

However, entering with Advance Parole means automatically being sent to the secondary inspection room, where there may be a wait of a couple hours depending on how busy they are there. So make sure to schedule at least a 3-hour wait between the entering flight and connecting flight, or try to schedule a flight that lands directly at your final destination in the US.

I would like to make an infoPass appointment, but as they are only 15 minutes I want to make certain that I know what information we need before we go in.
If you're looking for advice, Infopass is a very bad idea. They can be helpful with telling you the status of your application, but are notorious for giving ambiguous or dangerously wrong answers when asked for advice.

*rules such as: committed no crimes or immigration violations that would cause inadmissibility or AOS denial, she was present in the US when applying for AOS and Advance Parole, completed the fingerprinting and medical, reenters the US before AP expiration, and did not leave the US without Advance Parole.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife recieved notification via e-mail and text that her advance parole was approved, we are still waiting on the info in the mail. Is there anything else we need to do other than book the trip?

Still nothing in the mail. I called after 30 days and they put in a service request. We had the same issue with the biometrics appointment. We never received it in the mail and I called and made a service request. It took nearly another thirty days from making the service request and we finally fgot the biometrics appointment in the mail with a letter saying they had already sent it. Something is obviously screwy in their system, but I have no clue what it is since we receive things to the right address. Hopefully we will get the AP soon.

Did u ever recieve anything in the mail before from USCIS? If not then there is a real problem with your address info that is with USCIS.

Did u ever receive anything in the mail before from USCIS? If not then there is a real problem with your address info that is with USCIS.

Yes we received all four receipts to the correct address as well as the request for information. When I called about the service request they verified they have the correct address and the response we got to the service request for the Biometrics was sent to the correct address. If things got changed in their system I have no clue how or why. I have made an infopass appointment for Tuesday to check status of the AP and we will verify the address yet again.