Question about Tax returns with N-400

dsmportal

Registered Users (C)
this is my first post please bare with me.

i'm preparing to send my N400 form along with bank statement , mortgage and my children birth certificate, is that enough? or do i have to send tax returns?

i'm applying my citizenship under 3 year rules.

thanks.

this is my first post please bare with me.

i'm preparing to send my N400 form along with bank statement , mortgage and my children birth certificate, is that enough? or do i have to send tax returns?

i'm applying my citizenship under 3 year rules.

thanks.

If I were you, I'd stick to just the mandatory documents listen in the N-400 instructions. By all means take the bank statements, tax records and other stuff to your interview, but sending them in initially is unlikely to provide much added benefit. There are plenty of documented cases of people including all this sort of stuff, only to have the IO turn around and ask for it again at interview!!

I agree with Boatbod. Just send what is ask for with the initial N-400 application and save the rest for later which means the Interview. When I had my Interview I took EVERYTHING (my childrens things, my Husbands stuff and mine) and didn't need any of it. Each case is different but you don't need to send it with the N-400 Application.

And at the interview, don't bother to show the extra documents unless asked for them or you need a document to prove an answer given in the interview (an answer for which the interviewer either asked for proof, or appeared to not take your word for it).

If I were you, I'd stick to just the mandatory documents listen in the N-400 instructions. By all means take the bank statements, tax records and other stuff to your interview, but sending them in initially is unlikely to provide much added benefit. There are plenty of documented cases of people including all this sort of stuff, only to have the IO turn around and ask for it again at interview!!

thank you all for your help.

Boatbod, i'm not sure i understand :confused: what do you mean by mandatory doc? where does it listed ? and what doc are mandatory?

thanks again.

Its all covered in USCIS M-476 Guide to Naturalization "Document Checklist".

i understand that i have to send other doc like gc photocopy, 2 photos, marriage certificate, my wife's passport photocopy and of course check but

it says:

Documents referring to you and your spouse:

Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

so my question is: is that enough to send :
bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children

Best thing to do is order official Tax Transcripts from IRS. They will send them to you free. I used Tax Transcripts in my N400 filing and didn't bother with bank statements, mortgage docs, etc. As a side note, they really do want to see evidence that you have been paying your taxes while a PR. If you don't submit tax evidence of some kind with your N400 they almost certainly will ask about it at the interview.

is it ok not to mail-in required documents, but bring to interview?

it looks you are trying not to send tax returns.
However in every listed combination of the requred documents a tax return is required.
The minimum set (in addition to the "regular 5 year resident") is marriage cetrtificate and couple's tax transcripts for 3 years.

Question:
is is ok to not include the "required" documents (e.g. tax returns or marriage certificate), but instead bring them to the interview?

This would avoid scrutininizing by IO before the interview, especially if it might raise questions/problems.

it looks you are trying not to send tax returns.
However in every listed combination of the requred documents a tax return is required.
The minimum set (in addition to the "regular 5 year resident") is marriage cetrtificate and couple's tax transcripts for 3 years.

Question:
is is ok to not include the "required" documents (e.g. tax returns or marriage certificate), but instead bring them to the interview?

This would avoid scrutininizing by IO before the interview, especially if it might raise questions/problems.

i did my tax for all years and i dont have any problem sending my tax returns.

thanks all for your help.