Question about Status after filing I-485

NBlue

Registered Users (C)
I filed my I-485 application in June 2001, but did not apply for an EAD at that time. My H1 might expire before the 485 application is approved. My question is: After getting the 485 approval, once the H1 expires, what\'s the paperwork required to:
1. Maintain status?
2. Change employment?
Is the GC approval stamp on the passport enough or do I have to get an EAD card?
Thanks for your reply!

File for an H1 Extension asap

You should file for an H1 extension ASAP. Also file for an EAD soon. You can apply for an EAD at anytime, though most people apply for it along with their I-485 application. If you are expiring your 6 year limit on H1 you are still eligible for a 7th year extension since your I-485 is pending.

No Title

Once you file for 485, you are still in status. Your
status is "Adjustement pending". To work you need EAD or H1..

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. But, to maintain status, don\'t I need an updated I-94 or some other form of written communication from INS to be able to establish my status?

Real Value of EAD: Baba Yaga, ric experts please comment - this is important..

I believe if you move before 180 days,the sponsoring firm could cancel your I-140 and thus invalidate your the I-485. I am not sure if they are legally permitted to do this after 180 days. I guess moving after 180 days when you are close to you 485 approval, it may be a good idea to use your EAD. In circumstances other than nobility, I am not sure what real benefit is EAD to folks who are on valid H1 status and have sufficient residual H1 time. Experts please comment.