Question about SS# when applying GC through marriage

mikew151

Registered Users (C)
I just got marriage a month ago and filed my GC through marriage. I've out of status for about 3 yrs.

I got a lawyer helping me with my GC, she said after I got my receipt I could get a SS# and driver's license back. I was a student and H1B holder. I still have my SS#. Should I get a new one after I got my receipt or use the old one?

I read some posting said to get a SS# after get the receipt. I don't know the detail of it... Please help... thanks

Once you get a SS#, it's yours for life. But to get a duplicate card you have to be in legal status in most cases.

If you already have a card you probably won't need to get a new one (unless it has the "NOT VALID FOR WORK" legend and you want to work while waiting) until your adjustment is finalized.

Once your adjustment to permanent resident/green card status is approved and finalized you should apply for a new duplicate card which will be issued to you without a restrictive legend.

mikew151 said:
I just got marriage a month ago and filed my GC through marriage. I've out of status for about 3 yrs.

I got a lawyer helping me with my GC, she said after I got my receipt I could get a SS# and driver's license back. I was a student and H1B holder. I still have my SS#. Should I get a new one after I got my receipt or use the old one?

I read some posting said to get a SS# after get the receipt. I don't know the detail of it... Please help... thanks